PDA

View Full Version : '99 Sub K2500 w/6.5TD from the federal government.

Gooby
05-14-2005, 08:05
Hi folks. I just bought a '99 Suburban from the federal government with 134,000 miles. It was a U.S. Marshall vehicle and is the work truck model. I took a risk because I live in Hawaii and the truck was in Texas. I bid on it after viewing pics on the GSA website and ended up paying $7,800. The truck is now located in Gulfport, MS where my family and I will be located once we transfer. The batteries were dead when it was delivered to my home in Gulfport. I've got a buddy currently stationed there and he charged the batteries up and got her started. He's driven it and says it starts and runs great. He sent me pictures and the body and interior look to be in excellent shape. I'm going to Gulfport in June to see this thing for the first time. Beside changing the oil, what all should I do in terms of maintenance before I start to drive this vehicle? What is the best oil and filter to use? Thanks in advance for your input.

[ 05-14-2005, 10:31 AM: Message edited by: Gooby ]

Dvldog 8793
05-14-2005, 09:17
Howdy
Sounds like you got a good deal. I think all the govt contract vehicles had mechanical injector pumps. :D If it were mine I would drain every fluid and replace with synthetic(except engine oil) I use Mobil products and Wix filters. There are many things that can be done to these engines as far as performance is concerned. It really depends on what you want to do with it. You will see an icrease in both power and mileage by opening up the air intake and using a better filter system and then open up the exhaust. With that many miles injectors/glow plugs might be due for replacement. Check your oil cooler lines as they are probably leaking.
Hope this helps....
L8r
Conley Janssen
USMC87-93

Gooby
05-14-2005, 10:44
Conley, thanks for the reply. This Sub is a standard vehicle that you could purchase at a dealer. I'm assuming it probably has an electronic fuel pump.
Greg

markrinker
05-14-2005, 11:03
Sounds like a great deal! With those miles, you may be due for injectors - but only if they haven't been done already. Did you get a maintenance history?

Gooby
05-14-2005, 14:51
Mark, no there is no service history provided by the government with the vehicle. I did pull up in carfax that it had the fuel system serviced at 92,000 in 2002. Does anyone know if a Chevy dealer will give you a service history with a VIN#? Of course that's assuming the vehicle was taken to a dealer for servicing. Thanks. Greg

JeffsTowTruck
05-14-2005, 16:49
Ask the local dealer. If they won't I have a good parts man that has helped me several times with Vin. checks. Just need the Vin.
I would think the Gov. is like rental fleets and have very good service done to their vehicles.

Gooby
05-15-2005, 11:34
Thanks for the offer. I'll check with the dealer this week and see if they are willing to help.
Greg