PDA

View Full Version : Glowplug light stays on / comes on

Habfan
11-20-2013, 12:42
I have recently had a problem with my glowplug light coming on after starting my 6.6 GMC 2500 (2007) .
The check engine light comes on too. Sometimes the check engine will go out after a restart and sometimes it stays on for a couple of starts .
I am in Northern Alberta and the temps are pretty cold , but it isn't really cold yet. Any ideas ?

EdHale
11-21-2013, 04:31
Bad glowplug. It has happened to me exactly this same way six times over the past 7 years.

Only two of the original glow plugs left.

rapidoxidationman
11-21-2013, 14:02
do you or a friend have a code reader? The check engine light means a code was stored and that code will likely tell you exactly which glow plug is bad.

Habfan
11-21-2013, 14:29
coding U0106
Glow plug light will come on after driving for a couple of minutes ,sometimes it goes out after a while , sometimes it stays on .

-32 here this morning truck started up good for not being plugged in . It was a little slow but then again so was I !

Can't see it being too serious a problem , but would like to fix it before it becomes one....

cabletech
11-21-2013, 15:08
U0106 is a loss of comms with the GPCM. Thats not a bad glow plug code. Could be a bad/dirty connection or a bad GPCM.

Jay

Habfan
11-22-2013, 09:19
Thx for everyones input.
Where is the main connection for the GPCM or is there a specific connection that I should be looking at first ?
Really seems to be an intermittent problem .
-33 this morning . Didn't plug it in last night . REALLY slow cranking but she fired up after only a couple of seconds cranking . 2.5 seconds max. So I suspect the glow plugs are working properly.
Also I erased the trouble code after the scan and the light(s) have stayed off so far....

Habfan
11-29-2013, 12:12
Okay. Since I scanned and erased trouble code, I have had no starting issues . No check engine light and no Glow plug light coming on while I am driving . ...
No friggin idea what that was all about , but she is back to purring away !!

:D