PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Colorado gets a diesel

93_Burrito
11-20-2013, 14:27
Saw it here (http://www.dailytech.com/GMs+Allnew+Colorado+Midsize+Truck+to+Receive+Diese l+Power/article33786.htm).

New Colorado will go on sale in the fall of 2014

General Motors has unveiled its all-new midsize pickup in the U.S. in the form of the 2015 Chevrolet Colorado. GM says that the new midsize truck will offer real truck capability and versatility for customers who don't need a full-size pickup. Chevrolet also says that its new Colorado will deliver class leading power, payload, and towing ratings.

While the new Colorado is being unveiled now, it won't go on sale until the fall 2014 as a 2015 model. That puts the actual launch of the new midsize truck about a year away.

Unveiling a new midsize truck is an interesting move considering Chevrolet previously discontinued the Colorado due to low demand for midsize trucks. Competitors Ford and Dodge both discontinued their midsize trucks ceding the market to Toyota and its class-leading Tacoma, Nissan with its Frontier, and Honda with the car-based Ridgeline.

When the truck launches Chevrolet will offer two engine options including a 2.5-liter in-line four-cylinder (193hp, 184 lb-ft) as the standard engine and an optional 3.6-liter V6 (302hp, 270 lb-ft). Both of those engines will be mated to a six-speed automatic transmission.

However, when the Colorado enters the 2016 model year, Chevrolet plans to offer an optional diesel engine. The engine Duramax four-cylinder diesel, which is available worldwide, is expected to deliver around 200hp and 370 lb-ft of torque.

GM isn’t the only company looking to shoehorn a diesel engine into a light-duty pickup. Chrysler recently added a VM Motori V6 diesel option to the Ram 1500.

It’s too early to announce pricing for the new Colorado, but we can at least speculate. The 2014 Toyota Tacoma starts at $17,875, while the 2014 Nissan Frontier starts at $17,990. The Colorado’s big brother, the 2014 Chevy Silverado, starts at $25,575. We don’t expect that the Colorado will stray too far from the $18,000 mark in its base configuration.
Source: GM

Warren96
12-11-2013, 08:30
The diesel option added quite a bit to the base price when i got mine twenty years ago. Maybe they will give us a discount for being a loyal customer, HA!

Big Green
12-15-2013, 09:30
the problem here is going to be just like the new Cruze diesel.... it just doesn't make sense... or cents.

Spend a bunch of extra $$ to get the diesel and then an additional $0.40 to $0.60 per gallon vs the gain of only about 4mph on the Cruze.

For most people that drive 20k-30k per year you'd have to drive a long long LONG time to see any pay back.

Then there is also increased maintenance costs.

When I bought my '95 the diesel was 18mpg and the 350 was about 14. Although still a 4mpg difference the percentage is much higher vs 42 to 46. Granted the towing was much better with the 6.5 diesel but most people are going to be towing heavy with either of the aforementioned.

Big Green