PDA

View Full Version : How to drain fuel system and bleed injectors?

sturgeon-phish
10-09-2005, 02:45
Can I adequately drain the fuel tank by disconnecting the line at the lift pump? If not how? If I disconnect the outlet of the lift pump and remove the filter cap will that drain that section? To purge the lines from the fuel bowl to the injectors do I loosen the fitting at the injector? Should it drain out or would I need to have the injection pump push thee fuel out? Thanks for input.
Jim

Barry Nave
10-09-2005, 03:32
I would use a drill pump from hardware store and suck out all that you can. A little gas left over wont hurt. Top off tank,use fuel attative,jump lift pump relay,open water drain vavle. When you have diesel,change filter and bleed.
Crack injector,Disable glow plugs(I would remove and check for damage of glow plugs) and crank till it smell of diesel. Install plugs and start.

sturgeon-phish
10-09-2005, 04:43
How do I disable the glow plugs? Pull a fuse?

Kennedy
10-09-2005, 12:58
What is the purpose for draining the tank?

If it's contaminated, a complete R&R is what I'd suggest and wash it out thoroughly. Radiator shops can often do this best as they need to do this to repair gas tanks..

sturgeon-phish
10-09-2005, 14:06
From another post I've got going, I put gas in my diesel truck.

Kennedy
10-13-2005, 06:55
I guess to do it quickly and simply, I'd run the lift pump until it empties the tank through the water drain hose. Refill with diesel, and push a bit of fresh diesel through. From there you should be OK. Add a good lubricity additive and make sure to fill the tank so as to dilute the mix as much as possible. Not really all that big a deal in most cases.

sturgeon-phish
10-16-2005, 04:44
John,
That is pretty much what I did. I just returned from 1784 mile trip to the UP and lake Superior pulling my 5th with no problems, so what was suggested worked.BTW, I had recently put your exhaust on my truck and it made a huge difference. I wish I had installed the exhaust sooner!

Kennedy
10-16-2005, 05:44
Originally posted by Jim Sturgeon:
John,
BTW, I had recently put your exhaust on my truck and it made a huge difference. I wish I had installed the exhaust sooner! I hear that one a lot. Thanks for the support!