PDA

View Full Version : Fuel filter pre lift pump???

scot5146
11-20-2013, 20:13
Has anyone used this BD filter on a 6.5 TD pre lift pump???

http://usdieselparts.com/i-13464810-bd-remote-fuel-filter-kit-duramax.html

Thanks

Mike Scott

Firefighter
Vancouver, WA

Robyn
11-21-2013, 08:13
I would be a bit nervous about placing any restrictions before the lift pump on a rig that uses the stock lift pump.

If your fuel is that dirty, then there are greater issues to deal with.

A simple water trap with a brass screen might be workable, but really should not be needed.

Get rid of the stock FFM on the engine and install a Racor 230 R2 filter/water separator and your good to go.

This unit has a large filter area, plus a see through bowl at the bottom with a drain cock.

These can be mounted up front on a custom bracket (near the ABS)

Hope this helps.

Missy

Warren96
11-27-2013, 08:59
I found the original GM fuel manager on Amazon.Try searching it with the original GM part #. Mine was oozing fuel from God knows where,so I ordered the complete unit. It even came with a new element.

More Power
11-30-2013, 02:03
Fuel filter assemblies generally seal better under pressure than they do under vacuum. An air leak would be my concern.

But to answer your question, yes, I've heard of people installing a pre-lift-pump filter assy. If I had had a bad experience with dirty/wet fuel over multiple times, I'd be tempted to install a pre-filter.

When analyzing failed lift pumps, some of them would run but not generate pressure. This was due to particle contamination that jammed the one-way valving. Some pumps failed because of water contamination that produced corrosion in the mechanism. Those pumps would have benefitted from a pre-filter. Just gotta be real careful about preventing air leaks. Jim