PDA

View Full Version : Starter overhaul / cleaning

Berend_Smit
11-22-2013, 02:42
Hello ,

I'm overhauling / cleaning my starter because it didn't work anymore due to all the water / mud we are always driving threw.

I disassembled the frame from the pinion housing. But I can't get the armature out of the pinion housing.

According to the manual :

"14. Clamp pinion housing in vise and remove screws from end
plate and pinion housing (Figure 12-59).

15. Slide armature, end plate, and shift lever out of pinion
housing. "

But I can't just slide it out. it seems something prevents it from sliding out. and off course I removed the screws that go in the armature plate and pinion housing and also the pin that holds the shift lever.

Do you need to remove the snap ring first and then slide back the pinion stop or just tap the shaft gently with a hammer until it comes out.

Tips are welcome.

Thanks,

Berend

More Power
11-22-2013, 11:49
Brushes will create a groove in the armature over time, locking the parts together.

Yukon6.2
11-22-2013, 22:25
Hi
You will need to get the fork off the pinion drive.If you take the solenoid off that should give you the wiggle room to get it out.There is a clip on the end of the shaft to remove the drive,it's usually in the concave washer at the end against the pinion housing.You can also remove the pivot bolt for the fork if you don't want to remove the solenoid.
I'm working on one from my 950 loader,i have 6 dead ones and still had to buy a new pinion drive.1/2 were semi starters,but they are all similar to the old direct drive ones on the 6.2's.
Be careful if you take the solenoid apart,there are some small wires on the terminals that are easy to break off.You can turn the copper plate in the solenoid over if it is pitted deep,and file the copper posts flat.
Good luck Thomas