PDA

View Full Version : opinions on buying injectors?

seank
11-23-2013, 14:02
after getting back from deployment my truck was running ok for a week or so and then started running like someone had there hands around my trucks neck. replaced the fuel filter/air fillter which was fillthy but still running really rough and struggles to get over 45. im thinking injectors. anyone know good brand and place to buy them? and an additive i can get just so i can get around untill i have time to replace them..... and im pretty sure itdoesnt have anything to do with the pmd because i just replaced when i got back (bumber mounted). thanks

Dvldog8793
11-23-2013, 14:36
Howdy
Have you checked boost levels and turbo condition? Fuel quality? My own personal "concoction" is 2/5 of each: PS white, Amsoil cetane, and 1/5 synthetic 2stroke oil. I use about 16 ounces per tank of this. It works for me...My black truck had over 300,000 on the pump and 200,000 on injectors and it ran GREAT until the crank grenaded....:rolleyes:

Hope this helps...
USMC 87-93

Yukon6.2
11-23-2013, 20:24
Hi
Does your truck have a cat in the exhaust?Might be pluged.
Thomas

Robyn
11-24-2013, 10:21
Make sure there is good vacuum to the wastegate actuator.

There needs to be 20" hg to the actuator at idle, if not, check the vacuum at the vacuum pump.

If poor vacuum at the pump, then pump is bad.

Connect a good vacuum gauge, the needle should be steady, if it wobbles the vacuum pump is shot.

Normal vacuum at the pump is 20-26"hg

If the vacuum is OK, but there is no vacuum to the wastegate actuator, then the issue is either a bad plastic line from the pump to the solenoid (LH valve cover) or the line to the actuator, or the solenoid itself.

Does the rig toss out loads of black smoke ???
This is indicative of no or low boost.

A time sitting should not cause injector issues normally.

Rodents move in and chew plastic stuff.

Rough running though is an indicator or other issues, possibly injectors.

Best deal on squirts is to have a reputable local shop rebuild yours.

Has the SES light come on ???

Keep us in the loop.

Missy

phantom309
11-24-2013, 13:03
personally the injectors would be the last thing i looked at,

I,d check for good fuel pressure, it,s usually the achilles heel with these motors,.the lift pump is run by an oil pressure sending unit,. they fail,. lift pumps fail,. fuel lines get old and cracked allowing air into the fuel,. fuel pickups get plugged from oil fuel etc,. even with wastegates not working etc,. the motor will run smoothly but with lots of smoke,.if the engine was running smoothly but had vry little power and it has a catalytic converter,. i,d check there,. but the poor running and idling to me indicates a poor fuel supply,..

Nick

seank
11-25-2013, 12:50
hey thank you all for the advice. well i drove the truck for the first time yesterday since i made the post. dumped some injector cleaner into the tank and truck drove absolutely fine for 2 hours straight except when i pushed it to 65 and over or going up a steep grade she would start bucking hiccuping and shifting hard but be totally fine when i slowed it back down below 60. I'm doubting the stuff started to work that fast so i agree I'm thinking fuel supply and probably bought a bad pmd. bought the pmd from huckstorf diesel. opinions?? better place to go?? bought a vacuum gauge yesterday just to cover all the angles before i buy another pmd. I'm going to try that today and see if i find anything. also is there way to check if the cat is plugged with out taking it off i have pretty limited tools here on base. thank you

seank
11-25-2013, 12:56
O and i don't have any kind of dash lights on. trucks not blowing any kind of smoke at all. and i replaced the ops and lift pump about 2 years ago. all signs still pointing towards the pmd

DmaxMaverick
11-25-2013, 13:35
Doesn't sound like PMD. Sounds like fuel restriction or poor supply (such as fuel pump not pumping, for whatever reason).

Dvldog8793
11-25-2013, 17:38
What type/year of truck is it? Have you checked all the BASICS? Sounds like fuel starvation. I would check fuel filter and lift pump function along with the boost stuff discussed.
The "cat" is basically a soot trap that I would use the float test to see if it works.... Cut it off....Throw it in a deep body of water....if it floats the it is good...if sinks it was bad and should be replaced with "test pipe":D
Does your base have an automotive hobby shop for common use? All the bases in USMC had one.
Good luck!

seank
12-10-2013, 15:44
i want to thankyou all for the help and apologize for the disappearance i have been extremely busy the last few weeks and amazingly my truck has been doing fine the whole time with out any issues till today when it cut off again. its like it has a mind of it own!! none the less what ever is going on is going to require quite a bit of research on my part and i dont wish to waste anybodies time untill ive narrowed the problem down. so ill start a new thread when i get some new answers. untill then keeping my fingers crossed for the 400 mile trip home for christmas haha and ill keep and eye on the other threads thanks again

hambdenbob
06-25-2014, 07:34
Well,shame on me,'cause this thread's been idle for so long. However,as I've been quietly going about the Newbie Process of Learning and Growing here,I have to ask You: How did this all turn out for You,Marine? This Thread sure seemed to sum up a lot of Newer Owners' Experience in owning these older rigs,and you might be surprised on how many Newer Folks you'd be helping along by telling us of your Outcome....Not to mention,but the Fine Folks who offered good advice at cracking this one wide open for you could probably enjoy your best,positive Outcome on how you've kept this 'Ol Girl on the Road.....Thanx in Advance from a Bonehead Rookie at all of this!