PDA

View Full Version : Instrument cluster fuse blowing

HogHeaven08
12-07-2013, 13:07
OK,I have just spent 1.5 hrs searching for a post or thread relevant to my problem using multiple search terms...grrrr, I gotta ask,sorry,but I can't find anything.
Here goes...With no set pattern,my truck blows the instrument cluster fuse,20 amp,top left in the fuse box....sometimes the new fuse will last for days,then it will blow it within an hour of replacing it. I have read ground,ground,ground...in posts or threads, when it comes to electrical probs. Took to my local mechanic,he removed cluster and all that got me was a bill for $120. I have a Haynes manual but the electrical schematic is a joke. Maybe someone has had same problem and they can enlighten me or someone has a schematic for this circuit? (Thanks all,I dont get on here much...hope I did this right)

More Power
12-09-2013, 13:59
Luckily, I have the 1993 Electrical Diagnosis and Wiring Diagrams book.

Hot with the ignition key in the start & run positions, in the diesel models the 20-amp "Gages" fuse feeds pins F, O and U (circuit 39) on the Instrument Panel (IP) cluster AND pin A of the engine coolant level indicator module, all using pink/blk wiring.

The coolant level indicator module connector is located behind the LH side of the IP.

Measure amperage with both the IP and coolant level indicator module connector connected, then unplug one or the other to measure the amperage again. One or the other is causing the excessive current flow.

Jim