PDA

View Full Version : My new beast

coyote
12-08-2013, 22:25
New to me that is! I'm the second owner. 103k miles, all stock except for a relocated PMD. I purchased it last week and put 400 miles on it already and all is well! Now to get a tachometer on this thing...

DmaxMaverick
12-08-2013, 23:29
Very nice. As clean as I've seen in a long time. It appears very well cared for.

If I may offer a few suggestions.....

Ditch the plastic "Turbo Power" engine cover. It insulates heat IN. More heat = bad.

Upgrade the air filter housing and element to the 97+ system. Much better, and it won't leak in dirty air.

And, finally....... Move the FSD/PMD OUT of the engine compartment! Where it is now, is worse than where it was originally.

Beautiful rig. Thank you for sharing.

coyote
12-09-2013, 08:58
Ok, I'll start with that cover since I can do that today.
So you recommend the factory air cleaner housing/filter over an aftermarket one?

DmaxMaverick
12-09-2013, 09:44
Ok, I'll start with that cover since I can do that today.

It's very cold all over the country right now, so not so critical. The cover attributes to heat-soak, and slows heat dissipation.

It's much more important to consider the location of the PMD/FSD. Where it it now, on the intake, is about the worse location it can be. It's actually "hotter" than if left mounted to the IP. If you're going remote, get it OUT of the engine compartment, and into fresh, cool air. One location I can think of that would be nearly as bad, would be bolted directly to the exhaust manifold......

So you recommend the factory air cleaner housing/filter over an aftermarket one?

Most of the time. The later (GMT-400) OEM system is better than the previous systems, and most aftermarkets. Superior filtration with good flow is always better. Unless you have a competitive need, there's no advantage to using the "snake oil" systems. Incidentally, Duramax saw the same incarnation. Started with a square box (although horizontal), then moved to the cylindrical system in 2006. The advantages are undeniable, or they surely wouldn't have substantially increased the production cost. They are just more effective, and efficient. I use the AFE Stage II system on my 2001, with Amsoil dry filters. It works very well. I did the upgrade before the 2006+ system was available, but could have gone either way, given the opportunity. One key goal should be to offer the engine cool air, from just about anywhere outside the engine compartment. Once again, not critical right now, but something to take into consideration before higher temperatures are the norm. In any case, choose a system according to function, not bling.

coyote
12-09-2013, 23:11
Good points. Even here in LA, it's been getting down into high/mid 30's.

As far as the PMD goes, I'm thinking about going with the Leroy diesel harness and relocating the current PMD/Cooler where he recommends, down behind the bumper.

I'll start hunting for a 97+ intake system then. I'm much less interested in more power, than I am durability. The heaviest loads this rig will see is camping gear and a canoe :D

DmaxMaverick
12-10-2013, 00:42
Behind the bumper is good. Between the radiator support and battery is also good. Anywhere it can get fresh, cool (ambient) air is a good place. That's the best you can do. Most of the things that will get you the most out of it are simple. Keep it that way. Simple.

arveetek
12-10-2013, 19:37
Sweet! I love the two-doors.

I get comments all the time on my Tahoe. Most folks don't realize the diesel was a factory option during this time period.

Myself, I have never seen another diesel 2-door in person. Just online.

Casey

Robyn
12-11-2013, 10:03
Love the 2 door "HOE" with diesels myself

Saw one yesterday at a stop light

I would love one, just tough to find

Missy

coyote
12-12-2013, 12:06
I've never taken notice of them before until fairly recently. I've been fantasizing for a while about putting a vw diesel in my tin top Samurai, but I had a realization a few months back that for a primary vehicle, I just need more room. Sammy is a great toy, but it's just that. Somehow I stumbled across TDP and started looking into the 6.5L. Now, here we are :D
I haven't seen another diesel 2 door yet either, but I did notice that someone living up the street from me has a 2 door gasser with the barn door style rear hatch. Never noticed before, but now these are on my radar. Funny how that works.

Casey, I have some questions I'd like to ask you about your rig. PM me when you have the time please.

XFACTOR7
01-06-2014, 19:00
You did good! Nice!

What does that decal say on the hood?