PDA

View Full Version : 5.9 cummins to a 4l80e?

FL_CHEVY
10-09-2005, 10:57
Has anyone ever put a cummins in there chevy?, I am out an engine again, and this 6.5 is sucking me dry. I don't want to pay for another engine. I love the truck though, and was wondering about putting a 5.9 in place of the 6.5.
Not exactly shure what year it was that they used the manual injection pumps, so i would not have to worry about wiring, Im using manual injection on my 93' k3500.
by the way this time i can see the bottom of my cylinder has broken of and is shaving my piston skirt into the oil pan, how did that happen? go figure

FL_CHEVY
10-09-2005, 12:57
I didn't even ask, is there an adapter to adapt the cummins to a 4l80e?

JoeyD
10-09-2005, 15:31
Yes. I think it may be a GM part as well. GM used the 3.9 in some P chassis withe the th400 behind them.

dslpwr
10-09-2005, 17:13
I would buy a Dodge and forget the chevy.
As much as I liked my chevy I would not buy another 6.5 diesel with all the blown head gaskets and cracked blocks. I just sold my truck after oil sample came back with coolant in oil.

I was luckey to find the cracked block before it broke.

84 Convert
10-09-2005, 17:46
If one has the ambition and ability, the weak point of the GM diesel will be eliminated by this type of swap.

I personally like the Gm truck better than the Dodge, but I love the Cummins...so I'll likely do this swap eventually.

Gregg

DA BIG ONE
10-10-2005, 07:09
This swap idea is the way to go, I'm thinking it's in my future too making a nice truck even better.....

Good luck!

Bill Siver
10-10-2005, 12:14
If I end up having problems with my new truck, that's what I'm gonna do. 5.9 12 valve + 5 speed standard swap.

No one builds a nicer Crew Cab. My only regret is that it's a '94, and I like the '95 up dash.

Bill

Diesel Dan
10-10-2005, 17:51
Try and find a wrecked dodge/cummins and use the engine/trans from it. The later 12V/autos have several upgrades from the factory. My '98 has the 5 pinion planetary, 10 forward clutchs and updated oiling system to name a few.

Problem with the adapter for the GM trans is it clocks the engine about 10 deg to the passenger side and points the oil pan toward the front diff, if running a 4wd. From the measurements I took if you ran a base model grill with single sealed beam lights it should have enough clearance to run the dodge intercooler without modifications to the I/C core. Or if high power isn't a issue run a '89-91 non-intercooled motor with V/E rotoray pump.

FL_CHEVY
10-28-2005, 02:05
Thanks for all the help guys, Yes mine is 4x4, and I think the way to go would be the cummins with a standard behind it. One company that does these swaps told me the cummins will eat up a 4l80e automatic. So I am still in the decision process. I found a site that has remanufactured marine 6.5 for pretty descent price, (a couple grand less than the pen site)So I am considering going that route for now. Peninsular diesel says they have a intercooler kit for the chevys coming out soon that sets in front of the radiator like the other trucks, I look foward to seeing that one.

flintspear
10-30-2005, 08:23
What is the shop on the reman 6.5 marines? I might have to look at that soon. Or go the way you are going, to a cummins. I know the cummins and the NV4500 HD tx will handle the load I plan to have (10k plus).

moedog
10-30-2005, 09:06
IF YOU USE THE 480 WITH A CUMMINS, BE SURE AND PUT THE TRANSGO KIT IN IT, BETTER IS THE MANUEL 5 OR 6 SPD. tHATS WHAT IM GOING TO DO, hOWEVER THE 97 AND OLDER WERE MECH.PUMPS, A FEW EARLY 98S. THEN THEY GO TO ELECTRONIC. THESE ENEGINES ARE GETTING HARDER TO FIND WITH LOW MILEAGE, DONT BE AFRAID OF 100,000 MILES IF IT HAD ROUTINE OIL CHANGES

DA BIG ONE
10-30-2005, 12:35
4L80e can be modded for high torque and hp, there is a triple disk converter now available for it through ATS. Transgo is good, do all sonnex updates too.

There are aftermarket manual 4L80's that handle carzy high tq/hp.

http://www.transmissionspecialty.com/
http://www.atsdiesel.com/ATSWebsite/Home.asp?speed=HI
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/4L80E.htm

FL_CHEVY
11-01-2005, 16:34
flintspear, one of the websites I found was gm-diesel-engines [dot]com/gm-marine-engines.html with the appropriate www in the front of it. I was thinking of this, since I have busted pieces out the bottom of my cylinders. I cant really find a good donor truck for my cummins swap. think Ill try this and cross my fingers. I plan on trying to move the radiator and fit as big as possible intercooler in while im at it. I need to rebiuld my fanshroud anyway, and I will probably do the duramax fan on it as well. Hope this helps

Robthechitkicker
11-01-2005, 18:32
Hey guys I guess this might be a little off topic or out of the blue, but I'm getting to the point of looking at either having the manual transmission rebuilt in my '98, or possibly convertint it to a 4L80E, but I was just wondering what would be involved in swapping other than maybe trading ecm's, transmission mounts and braces, or what exactly but its just getting to that point and it seems like the ol' left knee gets a little worse every year. ..any info is appreciated

DA BIG ONE
11-02-2005, 21:46
Originally posted by Robthechitkicker:
Hey guys I guess this might be a little off topic or out of the blue, but I'm getting to the point of looking at either having the manual transmission rebuilt in my '98, or possibly convertint it to a 4L80E, but I was just wondering what would be involved in swapping other than maybe trading ecm's, transmission mounts and braces, or what exactly but its just getting to that point and it seems like the ol' left knee gets a little worse every year. ..any info is appreciated I've researched the 4L80e and found it will work w/almost anything if you throw lots of $$$$ at modding the tranny w/kevlar, premium steels, pump mods, all sonnex updates and triple clutch billet torque converter then using a stand alone controller but, only if you do not have AutoTrac and in your case the autotrac was not an option w/manual tranny.

On the other hand i know about the knee issue havin been shot just above the knee by an antipersonnel round some years ago the knee just didn't work right anymore. There are ways to enhance a hydro clutch to where input becomes a non issue but again could require deep pockets and custom fabrication through custom hot rod builders. However, extending the clutch pedal arm length to where the pad is under the heal of the foot can help by increasing leverage. "CAUTION, & you accepting any & all liability is always the warning when modding foot controls in this manner".

After all is said and done perhaps the best way is stay w/manual and work those legs to increase strength, but knee joint pain is another issue that one can become use too given the right distractions......

[ 11-05-2005, 02:21 AM: Message edited by: DA BIG ONE ]

FL_CHEVY
11-07-2005, 17:23
Robthechitkicker,
Have you considerd the allison transmission. I see a article(cant remember where) but they put the duramax and allison into a 96' k1500. They threw in that the bellhousing was the same for the 4l80e and the allison. Just a thought. Its a sweet transmission. heres the link, If it doesnt work, just let me know, and ill e-mail it to you.
http://trucktrend.com/features/tech/163_0412_duramaxpart1/index1.html

Bill Siver
11-07-2005, 18:57
I think I MIGHT have seen that truck before. :rolleyes:

Bill