PDA

View Full Version : Fel pro compared to Victor head gaskets

eracers999
01-11-2005, 06:47
When i tore down the original motor that i got with the truck in a crate it had fel pro head gaskets in it. p/n 9701 pt

When i tore down the motor in the truck that broke the block it had victor head gaskets in it. p/n 4021

Looking at them closely yeilded some very interesting differences, victor clearly being the better gasket.

1. Compressed thickness fel pro .039
victor .045
2. Gasket bore ID fel pro 4.140
victor 4.158
3. Compression ring width fel pro .088
victor.160 top/ .130 bottom
Observation of the fire ring or compression ring looks beefier on the victor, you can see it in the measured dimensions.

I have always been a fel pro man, but after seeing the differences in these gaskets the victor is a better choice.

Any thoughts on this?? I will observe new gaskets from both mfg's to see if they're are the same differences.

Kent

[ 01-11-2005, 05:59 AM: Message edited by: Kent ]

More Power
01-11-2005, 09:30
The 9701PT includes additional metal reinforcement in the coolant passage area on each end. This area is the most problematic in the 6.5. The metal reinforcement is good idea.

The 6.5TD Power Project engine is running Fel-Pro 9701PT gaskets and Fel-Pro head bolts - 155,000 miles and counting.....

MP

eracers999
01-11-2005, 09:40
MP:

The victor has the exact same reinforcment.

Kent

Kennedy
01-11-2005, 15:45
I've never been a fan of any victor gasket or seal. The FelPro are OEM, for the later 6.5's and bond to the head pretty darn good.

There was a thickness change somewhere down the line on Felpro also. It was .010" thicker than the predecessor. Whether it was .029 and went to .039, or .039 to .049 I don't recall. If I get a chance, I'll measure the well crushed unit stored with my torque plate.

PS, I seem to recall the fire ring being eliptical...

tom.mcinerney
01-11-2005, 17:59
I was saddened by the damage done to the block deck in the vicinity of the narrow (Felpro)compression ring. Much of the erosion may have been due to corrosion, since the lower half (semicircle) of the contact ring saw nearly all the deterioration. I would lean toward a gasket with a wider compression ring...but don't want to steer away fr Felpro, which i used.
Anyone know if the Duramax aluminum heads remain free of erosion at the gasket seal beyond 100K miles?

eracers999
01-11-2005, 23:21
JK: I never have liked a victor gasket of any kind either. But i cant ignor what i have found. When i tore both motors down back to back it was the victors that stuck all that silvery crap to the block and heads. I was at carquest trying to inquire about felpro and they said that they dont deal in felpro and went on to say that victor was OEM now. Still wont use other gaskets they make. Please, lay you eyes on the victor and felpro and tell what your take on this is.
Bennie at Avant claims that the felpro head gasket that is .010 thicker does not have the reinforcment in it and that guys running signifigant boost will blow them out. He claims them to be for a 6.2. They had a std - std crank that i bought from them, 200$, and if you are looking for a good price on pre cups they have the best price i have found at 100$ for a set of 8. Not bad aye.

Kent

Thanks / Kent