PDA

View Full Version : Installing injectors next

Shad
02-10-2005, 12:59
After my pump install and checking my glow system,increasing glow time,checking for leaks I am installing some injectors.Originals have 150K on them. I am getting some injectors locally and orderd some return lines from KD. I am pulling the turbo to help with install, doing right side first, any other tricks I should know about?

Cowracer
02-10-2005, 13:01
right side - 5 hrs.
left side - 45 minutes.

JK return line kit - priceless

Might as well get the glowplugs while your at it. It will never be easier than doing when you do injectors.
Tim

Shad
02-10-2005, 13:49
I put the quickheats in last year. I orderd the JK lines cause everyone seems to like them. Did you remove the turbo?

BUZZ
02-10-2005, 14:25
Shad, I hear you pull the GP's and leave out while cranking over to bleed the lines.When you were having the work done, you said the shop was going to check the timing chain. What did they say about the chain?
I gather still not starting like you think it should.
Good luck keep us posted
Buzz

charliepeterson
02-10-2005, 19:54
An Injector socket (30mm ?) is a very good idea. The socket has flats on top to put an open end wrench on it. The #8 Injector is very tight to the body so the ratchet might not fit in the socket. The #'s 4&6 Injectors can be had through the fender well skirt without removing the Turbo. The Turbo heat shield does come off first though. Snap-On and Grainger Supply have this socket.

After the install I leave all the easiest Injector lines loose to bleed the air out.

Cowracer
02-11-2005, 04:36
Shad,

Yes, I pulled the turbo. I also un-bolted the coolant resivoir bottle from the firewall. With that out of the way and with every extention I own, I could get the rachet on every injector.

I did not have to prime my lines. The truck started after about 20 seconds of cranking.

Good Luck!
Tim

Kennedy
02-11-2005, 06:31
Just put them in and fire it up. No need to bleed anything. I typicaly pull the heat shield and wash both banks extensively with a pressure washer prior to diving in. Even if it looks relatively clean, it isn't...

GMCfourX4
02-11-2005, 06:46
Everyone's experiences with this are different, but I'll put in my 2cents, since I just finished this job a couple weeks ago. :D
Remove the turbo heat shield, turbo brace (the one that goes to the top of the intake), and the heat shield between the manifold and the injectors. Leave the turbo on... too many possible problems (broken bolts, etc...), I didn't find that it was in the way. Remove the injector lines, I didn't have any problems with these. Pull off all the return lines, and don't worry if they break and don't bring the clip with them, you can just shove the socket on anyway. Start with the passenger's side, its by far the worst. Get the clipless lines! I spent 30 minutes removing the heat shields, turbo brace, and return lines. I spent another 45 minutes swapping injectors, then HOURS trying to get the ^!%$*!&# clips on the lines! If you don't get the clipless lines, get a pair of angled needle-nose pliers... And there are certain places where the only option is to put a little grease in the end of the tube, and slide it on with the clip already in place. If I had gotten the clipless lines (like CharlieP told me to ;) ) I would have saved myself MANY hours of aggravation.

(On Edit:) One other thing, like Kennedy said, I didn't do anything special to fire the truck, I just installed everything, tightened it all up, and cranked it over... Mine started after about 5 seconds of cranking, then ran a little rough for about another 30 seconds....

Good luck!
-Chris

Shad
02-11-2005, 17:40
Thanks for all the info guys, The engine is clean and ready to work on,workbench cleared. I,ll probably start on it next week on my days off. I'll let ya know how it turned out.
Thanks, Shad G

additive
02-11-2005, 18:54
When I changed the injectors, I didn't pull of the turbo either. The biggest problem I had was getting on the injectors properly torqued on the passenger side. I didn't worry about torquing it in, but tightened it up and it has been running over a year now. It is a hassle getting the heat shield back on though.

Now I think my injection pump is wearing out and will be my next project. The fun never ends.

Additive

Kennedy
02-12-2005, 06:38
Originally posted by Shad:
Thanks for all the info guys, The engine is clean and ready to work on,workbench cleared. I,ll probably start on it next week on my days off. I'll let ya know how it turned out.
Thanks, Shad G I should mention, no matter how well you cleaned it, it will still be a pretty messy job, just a whole lot less grit and grime...

rjschoolcraft
02-12-2005, 07:27
This job is much easier with the turbo out of the way. It's not that hard to pull the turbo off...

I swapped one at the Rendezvous last year! smile.gif

turbovair
02-12-2005, 11:04
Who on the internet sells a 30 MM fuel injector socket? Can I mail order one?
I have called around and gone several places(including NAPA) and nobody has one. I have a 30MM shallow socket and a longer 30MM axle nut socket. Hopefully one of these will work in different locations.

rjschoolcraft
02-12-2005, 11:15
Any 30 mm deep socket will work. I use an impact socket that I bought several years ago to remove the front axle nut on an 84 Cavalier.

turbovair
02-12-2005, 14:16
Thanks, RJ...I do have a deep 30MM axle nut socket. smile.gif Do you remove the entire R/H manifold and turbo as an assy as the book outlines?

[ 02-12-2005, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: turbovair ]

rjschoolcraft
02-12-2005, 14:45
Not usually... that's a pretty heavy assembly which makes it easy to damage the turbo. I usually just lift the turbo off without removing the manifold.

I did have to do that at the Rendezvous. One of the nuts rounded and I couldn't get it off without removing the turbo and manifold together. Once on the bench (picnic table, ;) ), it came right off.

I've had the turbo off several times in the last few years and that's the only real problem I've ever had. I should add, the manifold to head bolts came right out. I was scared to death they would be stuck, but they weren't.

Shad
02-13-2005, 04:18
I too have the axel nut 30mm socket.It was 52 deg here yesterday so I got the degeaser out and washed the truck real good. (damn salt!) I have sprayed penatrating oil on everything just in case I decide to pull the turbo. I should get started on Thursday.

Kennedy
02-13-2005, 09:06
Snap-On has a nice one. I even lend it out upon request with injector set purchases. The key is the hex on the top like a spark plug socket.

turbovair
02-13-2005, 16:00
JK,
Maybe you might include an option for a "loaner" socket in your injector description.Charge a "deposit" so you get it back with the cores. Just ordered a set of injectors from you(should be here any day!)The socket would have been something I would have sprung for.

Shad
02-16-2005, 12:35
JK,
I recieved the return lines from you, much thicker line(Braided) then the old one. I don't use any clamps with these?? I got my injectors and will start R&R tomorro.

Kennedy
02-16-2005, 15:14
The only thing that gets clips is the end caps.

Marty Lau
02-16-2005, 16:12
If you have real problem getting your injectors off with your axel socket SnapOn carries then I think I paid like $30 for mine a year ago.

94blue
02-16-2005, 16:55
Hey guys,

Injectors probably need to be done on my 94 4WD suburban. I've read a while back about using the "home made" removal tool on swollen injectors. Is there any way to know in advance the condition on my injectors or am I thinking of "swollen" glo plugs.

Thanks
94blue
258K stock

rjschoolcraft
02-16-2005, 17:47
AC-9G glow plugs swell... Injectors don't.

Shad
02-17-2005, 16:42
Hey guys I took the turbo off took 30 min.Glad I did for the experience. Tried to use my 30mm axle socket and too long,hits the manifold. I really do not want to wait for snap-on to send me one. Any other ideas out there? any luck with a different brand deepwell. Otherwise I'll order one.

turbovair
02-18-2005, 07:04
Remove manifold?

Marty Lau
02-18-2005, 08:02
I got one from a local SnapOn Dealer he had it on his truck I think it's a item they all carry. call them they will bring it to you. That is one of the advantages of SnapOn.

Shad
02-18-2005, 09:58
Thanks guys, I gave in and orderd one through cartools for 33.00 looke the same as the snapon one, should be here in a few days. I am gonna take the rest of the day off and go to the RV show in Milwaukee with the family.

Shad
03-07-2005, 12:59
Still waiting for my socket. Should be here tomorrow. Cant wait to see if the injecors make the difference.

nigeljones
03-09-2005, 18:20
Shad

You left me a thread on my issue of smoke at start up.
The injectors made no difference at all to my problem.
However, the swap out when easier than I thought. The hardest side is obviously the passenger side. I removed the wheel and went thru the wheel well. I removed the brace to the turbo and the heat shield you neeed to remove/ losen the turbo oil return line in order to pull out the heat shield. The shield is awkward to remove but will come out with some jiggling. I also removed the air cleaner box and hose.
The turbo and washer bottle I left in place and did not touch.

TG for KD those no clips lines are bloddy marvelous little long so I trimed mine back to a similar length to the originals

As regards the 30mm socket I just used a regular wheel bearing socket and had no issues. I did not have to use a wrench on it. I cut the old lines off at the nipple on the injector and left the clips in place, then mashed the socket over the injector I found it to be the easiest way the clips are a bear. I guess we all approach things differently.

As regards the smoke at start up

I was advised to look at the coolant temp sensor so for $10 I changed it tonight I will post the result after a couple days checking it out.

Does your truck start at cold around 12 deg f but at 26 deg f at cold smokes really bad? because thats my issue and I'm starting to think timing again.

Good luck on the injectors ;)

Nigel

Shad
03-20-2005, 17:11
Installed injectors today and sounds like the engine has a little more clatter. I drove about a 100 miles today no hint of smoke at full throttle and smells better. I'll let it cool down and see what the smoke situation is in the morning.