PDA

View Full Version : Rotella, Where O Where Did You GO

Big Green
01-05-2014, 18:47
Changed oil yesterday before we plunge into the deep freeze with big snow, for us at least.

So I admit I don't check the oil every time I fuel up but do keep a fair eye on it. It will use a quart to 1.5 depending on how much towing I do in 3k miles. Always has and I bought it new. If I'm not towing it will go 3k and use 1/2 quart or so.

Well, pulled the pug and out ran 3 to 3-1/2 quarts... WTF.

No obvious signs of trouble and no oil slick on the floor. I have noticed a bit more soot on the side of the bed where the exhaust exits and on the side of the bumper. No increased blow-by, runs and idles smooth, no missing coolant, runs perfect, etc, etc.

Only think I can think is I have a seal in the turbo leaking

Thoughts?

Big Green
'95 K2500 205k-ish

Robyn
01-06-2014, 08:55
Pull the exhaust loose at the turbo outlet and have a peek.

Also pull the air inlet side loose and see Wasssssup.

Missy

Big Green
01-06-2014, 11:51
Need it for the time being since it's the only 4x4 in the stable and we got 13.5 inches of snow on the ground

I looked at the intake side of the turbo and didn't see anything strange. Just the bit of oil film from the crankcase.

Pulling the exhaust side is definitely going to wait. Even the insulated garage is cold and it was -9 this morning

Big Breen

JohnC
01-07-2014, 11:16
Check the crankcase vacuum. If it's too high (CDR failed) it'll pull oil from the crankcase vent and burn it without you ever seeing it.

More Power
01-07-2014, 13:58
Turbochargers are rarely a cause of excessive oil consumption. Both the compressor and turbine side of the turbo operate under pressure. Oil pressure can overcome it, but the seals would have to be pretty bad. Even high time and/or worn out turbos rarely if ever contribute to excessive oil consumption.

Watch the oil level for a few tanks of fuel to see if there's a repeat. Make sure there isn't a leak somewhere. Jim