PDA

View Full Version : H.O. Injectors

TJ
10-09-2005, 14:49
Well, I just completed my weekend project in lovely 40 degree rainy Wyoming weather. I installed a set of Heath's HO Injectors. I pulled the turbo off which made for an overall easy replacement on the passenger side. The driver side required no special attention. After everything was sealed and given its final inspection, we turned the key over. After 3 short seconds of cranking after the turbo was bled, a wonderful noise emersed. The truck sounds a bit different, has more low-end and mid-range torque, and I couldn't quite test the top end because the roads were wet. :D I noticed quicker, less agitated starts and must say, love them so far. I'm curious as to what my fuel economy will be. My truck has 69,100 miles and had the stock injectors until now.

TJ
1998 GMC K2500 I/C GEP 6.5L Turbo.

TurboDiverArt
10-09-2005, 16:05
Originally posted by TJ:
I'm curious as to what my fuel economy will be. My truck has 69,100 miles and had the stock injectors until now.

TJ
1998 GMC K2500 I/C GEP 6.5L Turbo. Prior to installation, was your truck very consistent with fuel economy? I'm very interested in economy from HO injectors. Do you have a solid base prior to the installation to compare to?

Art.

TJ
10-09-2005, 18:54
My truck averaged about 14 mpg w/4.10 gears and fluctuated .5 mile to the gallon either way occasionally, depending on driving habits and fuel quality.

TJ

TurboDiverArt
10-10-2005, 01:06
Originally posted by TJ:
My truck averaged about 14 mpg w/4.10 gears and fluctuated .5 mile to the gallon either way occasionally, depending on driving habits and fuel quality.

TJ I think that's consistent enough over a few tank fills to determine if the HO's bought you anything mileage wise.

It will be good to get some data.

Art.

DA BIG ONE
10-11-2005, 00:12
I run HO injectors along w/Heaths MaxiTorq & turbomaster I get an average of 22+ mpg at 58mph using stock fitment tires (245/75/16) keep in mind I run 3.42 diffs.

I noticed that I started getting better mileage overall with heaths upgrades. Some herein suggest HO injectors are best for setting up high mpg 6.5td.

I now have 33.1" tires making my overall final 3.09:1 so I'll report on mpg as soon as I get some solid #'s.

TurboDiverArt
10-13-2005, 07:23
Originally posted by DA BIG ONE:
I run HO injectors along w/Heaths MaxiTorq & turbomaster I get an average of 22+ mpg at 58mph using stock fitment tires (245/75/16) keep in mind I run 3.42 diffs.

I noticed that I started getting better mileage overall with heaths upgrades. Some herein suggest HO injectors are best for setting up high mpg 6.5td.

I now have 33.1" tires making my overall final 3.09:1 so I'll report on mpg as soon as I get some solid #'s. Yeah, the problem with the bigger tires is not only the size and mass but also the tread design effects fuel economy. More rubber protrusions slapping through the air takes more power to turn at speed. I put bugger ties on an El Camino thinking I would improve my highway mileage. Went from a stock 26

DA BIG ONE
10-13-2005, 14:36
Originally posted by TurboDiverArt:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by DA BIG ONE:
[b] I run HO injectors along w/Heaths MaxiTorq & turbomaster I get an average of 22+ mpg at 58mph using stock fitment tires (245/75/16) keep in mind I run 3.42 diffs.

I now have 33.1" tires making my overall final 3.09:1 so I'll report on mpg as soon as I get some solid #'s. Yeah, the problem with the bigger tires is not only the size and mass but also the tread design effects fuel economy. More rubber protrusions slapping through the air takes more power to turn at speed. I put bugger ties on an El Camino thinking I would improve my highway mileage. Went from a stock 26

TurboDiverArt
10-14-2005, 08:15
Originally posted by DA BIG ONE:

Burb is 4wd 2500, before mods 17/19 mpg w/4.10's.

I'm removing my muffler 3" freeflow by ATS & going with straight pipe to see if things cool down. Eventually will go to 3.5" maybe bigger. I think 19-MPH highway in a 4WD burb with 4:10 gears before mods is terrific!

When I bought my burb, at 70 MPH I would get 14 MPG with a UNI foam air cleaner. I then "cleaned" the CAT and jumped to 16 MPG. I upped the running boost with a fooler to about 3-psi at 70 but really didn't see any increase. I installed a new exhaust (3" turbo through straight through muffler and into 3.5" tailpipe, as well as decreasing my highway speed from 70 to 65. I have noticed an increase of 1-2 MPG with both modifications. I unfortunately dropped speed at the same time I replaced the exhaust so I don't know yet which accounted for what portion of the 1-2 MPG. I know I'm definitely above 17 MPG and have recorded once slightly over 18 MPH. I still need a few more tank fulls to know if I'm getting 17.5 MPG or 18 MPG. After that and I'll try a few more tricks.

I had previously tested running at 70 and 75 and saw no change in mileage when decreasing to 70. I decreased speed because I saw a guy that had just crept past me at maybe 76 MPH got stopped and issued a ticket. I then dropped to 70 MPH just to be safe.

Art.

DA BIG ONE
10-14-2005, 14:16
Originally posted by TurboDiverArt:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by DA BIG ONE:

Burb is 4wd 2500, before mods 17/19 mpg w/4.10's.

I'm removing my muffler 3" freeflow by ATS & going with straight pipe to see if things cool down. Eventually will go to 3.5" maybe bigger. I think 19-MPH highway in a 4WD burb with 4:10 gears before mods is terrific!

When I bought my burb, at 70 MPH I would get 14 MPG with a UNI foam air cleaner. I then "cleaned" the CAT and jumped to 16 MPG. I upped the running boost with a fooler to about 3-psi at 70 but really didn't see any increase. I installed a new exhaust (3" turbo through straight through muffler and into 3.5" tailpipe, as well as decreasing my highway speed from 70 to 65. I have noticed an increase of 1-2 MPG with both modifications. I unfortunately dropped speed at the same time I replaced the exhaust so I don't know yet which accounted for what portion of the 1-2 MPG. I know I'm definitely above 17 MPG and have recorded once slightly over 18 MPH. I still need a few more tank fulls to know if I'm getting 17.5 MPG or 18 MPG. After that and I'll try a few more tricks.

I had previously tested running at 70 and 75 and saw no change in mileage when decreasing to 70. I decreased speed because I saw a guy that had just crept past me at maybe 76 MPH got stopped and issued a ticket. I then dropped to 70 MPH just to be safe.

Art. </font>[/QUOTE]I'm thinking quality of fuel is always an issue when seeking best mpg.

TurboDiverArt
10-17-2005, 11:48
Originally posted by TJ:
I'm curious as to what my fuel economy will be. My truck has 69,100 miles and had the stock injectors until now.

TJ
1998 GMC K2500 I/C GEP 6.5L Turbo. Hey TJ,

Any good data on mileage with the HO injectors? Don't know how much driving you do but I typically drive 400 miles and fill up once a week.

Art.

TJ
10-17-2005, 13:31
I've got no real good data yet. This week, that truck is parked and I brought out the old 85 tan truck. On a 150 mile drive, I did notice less boost (Turbomaster'd). I attribute this to burning overall less fuel, because my EGT's are down. My only explanation is these injectors do a better job of making the most out of a droplet of fuel. I really like them so far...

TJ

TurboDiverArt
10-17-2005, 15:22
Originally posted by TJ:
I've got no real good data yet. This week, that truck is parked and I brought out the old 85 tan truck. On a 150 mile drive, I did notice less boost (Turbomaster'd). I attribute this to burning overall less fuel, because my EGT's are down. My only explanation is these injectors do a better job of making the most out of a droplet of fuel. I really like them so far...

TJ Thanks. I'm asking because I'm really interested in what you find. There is no doubt that any new injector is going to run better than an old one. Seems most people say the HO's run better than the stockers. I'm interested in if you see any increase in mileage. You're old ones at70K were probably not in that bad of shape but were probably at the point where they were going to start a turn downward. I think mine are probably close to that point so I believe I'll need to replace mine in the next year. At 35,000 miles a year, I think I should view injectors as preventive maintenance... :D

Did the new injectors quiet the rattle from the engine any?

Art.

Turbine Doc
10-17-2005, 19:34
Art I got e'm mileage suffers greatly as when installed tended to make right foot go lower but truck goes faster :D .

Actually in my case no difference unless used, like most of the mods you read about right foot controls fuel consumed, but I'd install after a reflash as you need tweaked program to tell the IP to send more fuel to see real gains. I did reverse way round inj before flash and was disappointed, di not realize difference until flashing and swapping between stock & flash PCM

TJ
10-18-2005, 06:28
My engine was very smooth before hand. Now, it has a slight different noise to it. It's a bit more lower tone, and maybe more quiet at idle. It is certainly smoother, however. When in drive at a stop light, the engine vibration has dropped considerably.