PDA

View Full Version : 6.5td front engine cover question please help

DieselHooligan
01-18-2014, 17:21
Do I have to use a gasket or can I use the black rtv silicone gasket from my local auto store to seal my front engine cover??

More Power
01-22-2014, 15:32
The aluminum timing cover was originally bolted onto the front of the engine using just an anaerobic sealant (red in color) without a gasket. Fel-Pro includes a thin paper gasket in their kits for the timing cover, and I recommend using it. The aluminum and cast iron gasket surfaces won't be as pristine as when the engine was originally assembled. I uses a thin-thin smear of silicone sealant on both sides of that paper gasket, and get it all together before the sealant has begun to set up. Make sure the cover and block gasket surfaces are clean and oil-free.

Jim

Dvldog8793
01-22-2014, 15:59
Howdy
Get the thin gasket and use it. I use spray "gasket tack"(cant remember who makes it...it's in a blue can) to get things to seal/stick. The two surfaces have to be VERY clean, dry and flat. I think there is a torque value listed for the bolts to keep everything even. Silly-cone gets overused in many cases and can squish out inside the motor and cause problems.
Hope this helps!

john8662
01-23-2014, 14:04
Felpro Front Timing cover gasket set.

Comes with front main seal as well, which you certainly want to do while there.

The thin gasket is best affixed with Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket. It's a sticky brown goop that comes with a brush for application. I apply this to the block, then stick the gasket to the goop to align it on the block via the two block dowels for the timing cover. Then I apply another layer of the sealant to the gasket, side that touches the cover.

Use RTV on the front of the oil pan where it seals to the cover, and put RTV on the parting line (bot sides) between the end of the block and the oil pan.

Install cover, torque to specification.

Re-do the waterpump to front timing cover backing plate gasket too (the one in between the waterpump and plate). All the gaskets are in the kit. Use the Permatex here as well. I've never had a leak using this in this fashion. 20+ engines.

J

rustyk
01-26-2014, 17:50
John has it exactly right. I used the anerobic sealer the last time I pulled the cover, but if I were to do it again, I'd use the Felpro kit. BTW, the Permatex Aviation is a good all-around sealer; I use it now wherever I used to apply Permatex #2.