PDA

View Full Version : tranny question

hornythrony
01-22-2014, 10:24
Hey so I'm new to the 6.5L, I trade some things for a 1994 GMC 2 door Yukon 4x4 with a blown 4L80E Trans (so I'm told) I ve been having troubles finding another Tranny but just came across a (guy claims) 1995 big block truck would that tranny work? One of my buddies say its a 4L85E a fair bit of the internals are different. Is this true and if yes can I swap the guts over and also is there some thing I should do while I'm in there? I don't wanna spend a ton on this cuz its a it of a beater my plans are to SAS it and maybe 35-38`s on it

Thanks for any help you can give

Also I just started to get air in the fuel bowl is there some quick checks and my glow plug really is new but only works some times

Robyn
01-22-2014, 15:24
That box should work.

The program in the trucks ECM/PCM will be slightly different, but the gearbox should interchange.

Physically, it will bolt up to the 6.5 and the Tcase.

The electrical connectors might be different, not sure there, but a little digging should net the answer on that one.

Missy

AKMark
01-23-2014, 13:53
Install a new torque converter when you swap them.

The gasser will have a higher stall speed than the Diesel.

And if your Diesel trans is sick, don't use it's torque converter.

hornythrony
01-24-2014, 17:54
The Tranny guys says the reverse piston cracked/broke. Even in park it wants to move forward and that caused a over pressure and blew the front seal

Robyn
01-25-2014, 12:56
As mentioned, don't use your diesel converter, as it's likely full of crap.