PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 TD starting problems

sirtreysif
01-26-2014, 16:02
To start thing off I do not drive this truck everyday and a couple of week ago ran the truck out of fuel. Filled it up and tried to start it. Ended up having to boost it off because I drained the batteries. I did not plug the truck in and it has been well below freezing, I would crank it up every couple of days with no problem. As I went out the last time I tried to crank it and the batteries where dead, so I pulled my Jeep up to it and tried to boost it off, and I the truck will not turn over. At first when you tried to start it all the lights on the dash would go off and you would have to shut the door then open it to hear the door ajar ding. I charged the batteries over night and both have full charge. Now when I put the key to where you would normally see the WTS light it doesnt come on and there is a clicking from the glow plug relay. When you try to start it, it will not turn over and the lights will go off on the dash again. I was wondering if I needed a glow plug relay or if I needed to look elsewhere. Maybe someone has ran into this problem before, any help would be much appreciated. Thank You.

rustyk
01-26-2014, 17:44
You have all the symptoms of low voltage; merely hooking up a jump won't provide enough juice if the boosted battery is low - the power will be absorbed by the dead battery. You'll need to keep the jump connected for several minutes - maybe even 30 - to recharge the boosted battery. If the boosted battery is dead, no amount of jumping will allow you to start.

Dvldog8793
01-26-2014, 21:43
Howdy
Sounds like a dead battery, meaning a battery that is shot...not just low charge. Disconnect the batteries and check voltage with a meter. It should read 11 volts MINIMUM. Any lower and you have a suspect battery.

Could also be a poor cable or connector. Check all cables and connectors, any sign of green in the cable area or connectors replace them.

The starting every day and not running for long enough to charge the batteries is not a good idea. A typical alternator will not charge at full capacity at engine idle.

If you had it hooked up to a charger all night it should have charged sufficiently if the charger was at least a 10amp charger....AND you have good batteries.

IF you have one bad battery, you should replace them both. Even if one reads good it will not be far behind and leave you stranded again.

Hope this helps!

sirtreysif
01-27-2014, 09:57
So will the dead or low voltage batteries cause the glow plug relay to constantly click?

DmaxMaverick
01-27-2014, 10:11
So will the dead or low voltage batteries cause the glow plug relay to constantly click?

Simply, yes. Low voltage will cause an engagement "cycle" with any relay/solenoid if the conditions are just right.

As said, boosting bad battery(ies) are often not successful. Although, the increased power should, at least, overcome the GP relay clicking (then the problem usually moves on to the starter solenoid).

I suggest checking and cleaning all the battery terminals, cables and grounds. This is the most common cause of many electrical issues on these trucks, including issues such as you describe.

trbankii
01-28-2014, 07:58

My experience is that the relay has enough juice to attempt to engage, but not enough to hold the engagement. So the relay will "chatter."

sirtreysif
01-28-2014, 17:53
Thanks guys for all the help, turned out to be a loose terminal. Thank you soo much

trbankii
01-29-2014, 09:51
That will certainly do it too. First item is always to make sure you have good connections. Clean them up, put some dielectric grease on them, and make sure that they are all snug.