PDA

View Full Version : Cold Starting tips for a 96 6.5 turbo diesel

huntinlife1993
01-28-2014, 13:25
I have a 1996 2500 6.5 turbo diesel it hasnt ran in 6 months due to a starter problem. i have fixed that problem now i want to get it started and drive it. its -20 degrees where im at annd the truck has a full tank of fuel with diesel 911 in it wondering if anyone has any tips on a easier way of starting it?

DmaxMaverick
01-28-2014, 14:58
Welcome aboard!

The "911" isn't a maintenance additive. As the label implies, it's an emergency tool, and should only be used after all other lesser methods fail. Continuous use can actually damage the fuel system. There are many additives designed for cold climate use, and they work.

The best methods for good cold weather starting are the most simple ones, beginning with what the truck came with. Once the fuel is suitable for use (either winter fuel, or properly treated), heat is needed. The block heater, to begin with. If it's working, and you use it, that's half the battle. A healthy electrical system with a properly working glow plug system and fuel heater/manager, is the rest.

Other things that help, but have additional costs:
Synthetic lubricants, of the correct viscosity.
Oil pan heater.
Heated garage.
On-board heating system, like Webasto.
Remote/auto starting system, with temperature sensing (automatic start/stop at preset ECT).

AKMark
01-28-2014, 15:10
Trucks that are cold soaked such as yours are best brought inside a warm place and left there for a few hours.

I have battled extremely (-60F) cold vehicles for days, when it would've taken less than an hour to push it in a shop, and only a few hours and less than $20 for fuel to warm the shop up to thaw it out and get it running.

huntinlife1993
01-29-2014, 09:55
Thanks guys i appreciate it, im going to throw it in the garage with a heater on and then try. iv had the block heater plugged in for 2 days now it just seemed like it couldnt keep up with the weather. But thanks and i will try everything you guys told me

Kennedy
01-29-2014, 10:35
Cranking speed and glow plug heat are quite critical for successful 6.5 starting.

I agree with the inside/warm comments as well. The block heater should be sufficient to support good combustion, but the fuel still needs to be liquid.

phantom309
01-31-2014, 19:49
not sure what you have for resources,. but,. pull thye batteries put them inside over night,. drain the oil,... heat it up as hot as you can then pour it back in,. it'll start.
This method works really well when you,ve left your truck waaay out in the parking lot at a remote log camp, and it,s 25 below,. and you beg the cook for a big pot to boil the oil,. ;)

nick

Warren96
02-12-2014, 08:46
If I ever asked my cook to heat my oil, in one of her pots, she would make my next Thanksgiving dinner in it without even wiping it out and i would be the only one invited!

DaveNY
02-12-2014, 20:03
Not So Bad if You Use Enough Salt!!!