PDA

View Full Version : switch to Leave truck running but turn off the key.

phantom309
01-30-2014, 22:08
I would like to install a switch to keep the truck running with heater on etc, and be able to remove the key,..
Has anyone done this ?

nick

a5150nut
01-30-2014, 22:24
I havn't, but I saw a Dodge that had that on it. He wired a diconect into the brake light so if anyone tried to steal it as soon as they touch the brakes it triggered a relay and cut the power off.

DmaxMaverick
01-31-2014, 00:06
Save yourself a lot of headache and just install a remote start (alarm system). A bit costly up front, but it accounts for all the contingencies, and usually bypasses all the computer problems. Most sound system shops can handle this, and the install charges are minimal.

phantom309
01-31-2014, 17:13
Save yourself a lot of headache and just install a remote start (alarm system). A bit costly up front, but it accounts for all the contingencies, and usually bypasses all the computer problems. Most sound system shops can handle this, and the install charges are minimal.

Well,. i do notice a recurring theme with the advice i get from you,.:D
Unfortunantly,. a bit costly is not easy for me,.;)

Nick

DmaxMaverick
01-31-2014, 19:46
Cheaper isn't always better. This is one of those, I've found, the easiest/cheapest way usually turns out to be the toughest/costliest, in the end. The OBD systems don't like unwelcome guests. The major difference being, with one method, you get to spread the expense (and grief) over a greater time period.

Look for "turbo timer" type mods. These allow for run after start with key removed for a selected or indefinite period.

Freddyack
02-01-2014, 06:11
Just have an extra set of keys and lock the doors, that is what i do :D

phantom309
02-01-2014, 21:24
Just have an extra set of keys and lock the doors, that is what i do :D

Therin lies the crux of the matter,....
being a farm truck it never had the doors locked,. and the lock mechanisms have seized up,.hence me wanting to install a switch to keep it running, yet lock the column and shifter,.

I can do it easy enough,. i need a 30 amp relay with 2 outputs,. to feed the pink and orange wires at the switch box on the column.

nick