PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 T.D. DS4 and Turbocharger performance Dyno

john8662
02-04-2014, 15:34
Upcoming performance measuring venture.

So, I've got a custom engine for an application not yet disclosed that I can use for some testing on a Superflow Engine Dyno here in town.

Here is the meat of the project:

Take an 18:1 6.5TD engine and run different DS4 Electronic programming on and different turbochargers and see what they make.

I'm going to take each of the turbochargers and test and make programming that I like on a running DS4 truck to get a calibration that suits the turbo. That program will later be tested on the test engine on the dyno and see what the calibration made with that turbocharger configuration.

Thinking:

1) Stock fueling
2) Towing performance
3) All-Out Performance

tunes for all turbos that will be measured on the water wheel.

Turbos to be tested:

1) Stock GM4 Turbocharger Baseline Vaccum Wastegated
2) GM4 Turbocharger with Billet ETT Wheel Vacuum Wastegated
3) Holset 56/60/12 & 14cm
4) Holset 60/60/12 & 14cm
5) Peninsular S2E (and possibly the updated S2E they offer)
6) ATT with both turbine housings
7) Banks TE06H

Anything else turbowise that I'm missing that commonly bolted onto a 6.5L that works?

I have all the turbos listed above with the exception of the ATT and the Updated S2E (I have a Peninsular S2E previous production unit).

All items will be monitored:

Will be monitoring Boost PSI, AIT, EGT as well as engine output. Should be able to do all available sensors as well (Oil Temp, Pressure, Coolant Temp).

Exhaust manifold will be a Banks 6.2L Turbo GMT300 manifold due to Dyno setup, the Factory 6.5TD manifold won't work with the x-over.

Programming will be in-house OBD-I as I have a standalone OBD-I engine computer for the dyno.

Engine Specifics:

Navistar 506 6.5TD Block
Splayed Main Caps (Not Kennedy)
Forged AMG Crankshaft, Balanced
Mahle 18.5:1 True Marine Pistons with Gapless Rings
Unique Diesel Big Bolt Rods
Stock Valve train (cam, rockers, lifters)
Unique Diesel Balanced Rocker Arms matched length push rods
Fluiddampr
DSG Phaser Gear Drive
Gasket Matched/Polished 567 Cylinder Heads, 6.2L Ex valves, Diamonds.
Stock New 6.5TD Injectors (top performer will get 311 nozzles to compare)
Fresh Remanufactured DS4
Port Matched Lower Intake Manifold.

This is a long-term venture, most likely will occur in the next 6-months. Gotta get turbos installed on truck, tunes written, and the engine assembled.

But this will give us an idea of what these turbo options actually do in numbers instead of butt dyno guesses.

After all the testing, the engine will be outfitted with a DB4 and run with a compound turbo setup, those numbers aren't part of this project though.

J

Yukon6.2
02-04-2014, 20:51
Sounds like Fun,and a bunch of work.
Look forward to reading the write ups.
Thomas

joed
02-05-2014, 06:43
I appreciate your efforts.

How about doing one with the stock GM-8 turbo for a baseline? I'm not sure what available improvement wise for this turbo.

Thanks.

Joe.

john8662
02-05-2014, 12:38
The GM8 really makes no difference in testing like this. It does flow a little better exhaust because of the discharge downpipe elbow. Otherwise the turbo retains all the same parts (turbine wheel, compressor wheel, etc.).

J

arveetek
02-05-2014, 15:07
Looking forward to seeing your results! We just don't have a lot of comprehensive testing done in the 6.5L world.

Casey

Qazulight
02-05-2014, 16:35
Upcoming performance measuring venture.

So, I've got a custom engine for an application not yet disclosed that I can use for some testing on a Superflow Engine Dyno here in town.

Here is the meat of the project:

Take an 18:1 6.5TD engine and run different DS4 Electronic programming on and different turbochargers and see what they make.

I'm going to take each of the turbochargers and test and make programming that I like on a running DS4 truck to get a calibration that suits the turbo. That program will later be tested on the test engine on the dyno and see what the calibration made with that turbocharger configuration.

Thinking:

1) Stock fueling
2) Towing performance
3) All-Out Performance

tunes for all turbos that will be measured on the water wheel.

Turbos to be tested:

1) Stock GM4 Turbocharger Baseline Vaccum Wastegated
2) GM4 Turbocharger with Billet ETT Wheel Vacuum Wastegated
3) Holset 56/60/12 & 14cm
4) Holset 60/60/12 & 14cm
5) Peninsular S2E (and possibly the updated S2E they offer)
6) ATT with both turbine housings
7) Banks TE06H

Anything else turbowise that I'm missing that commonly bolted onto a 6.5L that works?

I have all the turbos listed above with the exception of the ATT and the Updated S2E (I have a Peninsular S2E previous production unit).

All items will be monitored:

Will be monitoring Boost PSI, AIT, EGT as well as engine output. Should be able to do all available sensors as well (Oil Temp, Pressure, Coolant Temp).

Exhaust manifold will be a Banks 6.2L Turbo GMT300 manifold due to Dyno setup, the Factory 6.5TD manifold won't work with the x-over.

Programming will be in-house OBD-I as I have a standalone OBD-I engine computer for the dyno.

Engine Specifics:

Navistar 506 6.5TD Block
Splayed Main Caps (Not Kennedy)
Forged AMG Crankshaft, Balanced
Mahle 18.5:1 True Marine Pistons with Gapless Rings
Unique Diesel Big Bolt Rods
Stock Valve train (cam, rockers, lifters)
Unique Diesel Balanced Rocker Arms matched length push rods
Fluiddampr
DSG Phaser Gear Drive
Gasket Matched/Polished 567 Cylinder Heads, 6.2L Ex valves, Diamonds.
Stock New 6.5TD Injectors (top performer will get 311 nozzles to compare)
Fresh Remanufactured DS4
Port Matched Lower Intake Manifold.

This is a long-term venture, most likely will occur in the next 6-months. Gotta get turbos installed on truck, tunes written, and the engine assembled.

But this will give us an idea of what these turbo options actually do in numbers instead of butt dyno guesses.

After all the testing, the engine will be outfitted with a DB4 and run with a compound turbo setup, those numbers aren't part of this project though.

J

You know, with that much tech, savvy and money, what about a high pressure fuel pump and Piezoelectric injectors and running the compression ratio down to say 17 to one like the new engines? There is a rumor that Mazda is trying one a 14 to one. Although just Googling around the lowest in production seems to be a Volkswagen at 16.5 to one.

http://www.performancediesel.com/wp-content/themes/performance-diesel/pdf/hyundai/S220-2page.pdf

I would just drop one of these in when my engine dies, except for that whole 20,000 dollar thing.

Cheers
Qazulight