PDA

View Full Version : Pinched vacuum pump

oyea3
02-12-2014, 21:43
Hello, so I dropped a 6.5td into my 85 Jimmy, and on first start oil poured out from beneath the vacuum pump in the rear of the engine. Unbeknownst to me it got pushed up against the firewall so hard that I cannot get it out. Can I ruin something easily? I probably need to replace seal. Any ideas other than pulling the engine?

phantom309
02-14-2014, 23:01
I don't understand,.. its a 6.5 turbo? with a rear mount vacuum pump?

Huh?

Yukon6.2
02-18-2014, 20:42
Post a few pic's.
There shouldn't be any clearance issues,unless.............:confused:

racer55
02-19-2014, 08:31
The vacuum pump is mounted to the frt of the engine and is serpentine driven,it is also dry with no oil shared between it and the engine.

No idea what you have going on?

DmaxMaverick
02-19-2014, 10:29
The vacuum pump is mounted to the frt of the engine and is serpentine driven,it is also dry with no oil shared between it and the engine.

No idea what you have going on?

Correct, unless you've replaced your 6.2L long block with a 6.5L, and kept the 6.2L vac pump, which is located at the rear of the engine and is cam driven. It sounds like this may be the case.

The 6.2L vacuum pump mounts at the rear of the engine, and is part of the pressurized oil system. If the pod were smashed, pressurized oil could leak, a lot. If the pump is "stuck" in the block, it's possible the block and/or the oil pump drive (the shaft of the vacuum pump) has been significantly damaged.

racer55
02-19-2014, 10:36
Correct, unless you've replaced your 6.2L long block with a 6.5L, and kept the 6.2L vac pump, which is located at the rear of the engine and is cam driven. It sounds like this may be the case.

The 6.2L vacuum pump mounts at the rear of the engine, and is part of the pressurized oil system. If the pod were smashed, pressurized oil could leak, a lot. If the pump is "stuck" in the block, it's possible the block and/or the oil pump drive (the shaft of the vacuum pump) has been significantly damaged.

Ah ha-the old style that goes where a distributor would be in a gasser!

Robyn
02-19-2014, 10:58
Snap a couple pix of the area and post them here please.

There is ZERO difference between the 6.2 and 6.5 in that area.

The 6.2 rear vacuum pump should work just fine as this vehicle was available with a 6.2 and they used the tall vacuum pump.

Now if the pump was turned to the wrong orientation, then herein may lie the issue.

The upper bearing in the pump drive is pressure fed oil off the oil groove in the pump drive via a tiny orifice.

If the drive was cracked, then this would explain the oil leak.

The tall vacuum pump can be easily removed when installed correctly.

PIX PLEASE :)

Missy

AKMark
02-19-2014, 11:05
I had a 84 6.2 powered 3/4 ton Suburban with a belt driven vacuum pump. I still have the motor, and will check to see if the pump is still attached. When I got rid of the auto, I didn't need it anymore.

No, not a 6.5 convert, not serpentine belt, it came from the factory that way.