PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 td injection pump timing

Banjoboy
02-16-2014, 04:24
Hello, I've joined the forum to find out more info. I have already picked up a lot from reading other threads relating to this topic. I have a 98 cheyenne with 6.5 turbo. I bought the truck as a non runner but have managed to get it up and running. The previous owner had changed the pump and I am getting the timing sorted. I have hooked it upto carcode software and have moved the pump a lot to get it where it won't set a p0216 and carcode will initiate a tdco learn. The tdco is at -1.23 (I have had it at -1.94) ipt is 0.0 and Iptd is 11.9/12.0 . The truck still smokes too much as I have to pass an emissions test here in the uk.i feel i am missing something still with the timing? Thanks for reading.

Robyn
02-16-2014, 09:19
Hello and welcome to TDP :)

Your timing (tdco) is in the spec.

Smoke ???? is it black or white/gray

Black smoke is related to too much unburned fuel.

This can be due to an issue with the waste gate on the turbo or several things.

Mashing the throttle hard is going to produce some smoke, but the turbo should spool fast enough to keep it clean.

A likely suspect is dirty injectors that are not spraying well and probably have low pop pressure.

Are you getting white/gray smoke at idle ?? This would be a good indication of bad injectors.

Injectors that have low pop pressure and are dribbling or squirting a very sloppy stream of fuel instead of a nice clean cone of mist will cause a nasty smoke show.

More info please

Missy

Banjoboy
02-16-2014, 10:41
Hello, thanks for the quick reply, it's blowing white/grey smoke, it also has given me code 216 again today . it's hard to start from cold and it's good starting from hot. Could be injectors for that issue too? I've spent the day checking glow plug system which seems to be good, just leaves fuel not being there at start up?

racer55
02-19-2014, 08:36
P0216 Injection Timing Control Circuit

Relates to the iming stepper motor on theside of the IP going out of limits to achieve desired timing.

Is this the procedure you followed to set timing with carcode?
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/21-6-5l-diesel-engine/387173-carcode-tdco-96-a.html
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/4034770-post18.html

Warren96
02-19-2014, 08:54
When do you notice the smoke, when you start it cold, when you rev it up ? What is the temperature outside when you start it? Try plugging in the block heater for an hour or two to see if it starts better and smokes less.