PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in Park.

plainpilot11
02-16-2014, 14:12
Hi all.

Have a 1997 K2500 Diesel Suburban and it gets stuck in park sometimes. I think it's probably the shift interlock solenoid, but I guess it could be something else. I think it's probably on the column somewhere but wondering if anyone could give me any specifics of how to replace it and it's location, and also any other problems that it might be. Thanks in advance.

DmaxMaverick
02-17-2014, 00:10
Welcome aboard!

Check the brake lamp switch, first. It it's failed, it will prevent moving from "P". I've never heard of a solenoid failure, but brake lamp switches are a-plenty.

Qazulight
02-25-2014, 17:40
Hi all.

Have a 1997 K2500 Diesel Suburban and it gets stuck in park sometimes. I think it's probably the shift interlock solenoid, but I guess it could be something else. I think it's probably on the column somewhere but wondering if anyone could give me any specifics of how to replace it and it's location, and also any other problems that it might be. Thanks in advance.

I had that problem on a 97 half ton. I had it taken care of by a mechanic, but the first check is the brake light switch. If it is failing it needs to be replaced anyway.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Cheers
Qazulight

joed
02-26-2014, 06:47
My dad had that happen on his 95 GMC. It turned out to be the metal shifter mechanism in the steering column. It's fairly thin metal that seems to crack over time - his had actually torn apart.

But first, regarding the shift interlock - you can actually bypass it by slightly turning the key from off towards on - I think the shift indicator may even light up. This should help rule in/out the shift interlock solenoid.

Hope that helps.

Joe.