PDA

View Full Version : 1994 starting problems

Jmeling
02-23-2014, 13:15
I have a 1994 2500 with 6.5 turbo with 252 plus thousand miles on it. Not sure what all was done to motor befor. I bought it but supposably the chip has been replace for a 10-15 lbs boost? Any way no real problems till couple weeks ago and wife tried to start it and as she was cranking over it started blowing black smoke( something it has done all winter for me right. Before it would fire) and she stopped. Now won't start. Changed fuel filter ( no idea how old it was) but even before changing it and still after I hear the supply pump running for a minute or so after I stop cranking. I released the air out though the filter drain and the T knob at front of motor. Any help would be great! Thanks!

Warren96
02-23-2014, 14:51
Let me be the first to welcome you to "The Diesel Page"! Second, the fitting that you are referring to is the water drain ,but it is on the fuel filter. The place to get the most air out of the system is on top of the filter,the black knob that you should be able to loosen with your fingers. If it is still not starting you may have to plug in your block heater,for at least an hour(depending on how cold it is in Iowa this week). Lets hope your luck has it parked near an outlet!

Jmeling
02-23-2014, 15:55
Yea I opened it and drained all the air out that way. Have. Had it open and got nothing but fuel. As for plugging in.... Well I think my block heater has quit on me now too lol. I know it was working earlier this winter but now, not so sure. Leaving it plug in tonight and will check in morning.( just feel the block and make sure it's warm correct?)

Artworks
02-24-2014, 05:58
You should be able to hear it " purcolate" like a home electric water heater. Check cord with ohm ( multi ) meter .

Warren96
02-24-2014, 15:13
I never leave mine on all night. If it's below zero, and it HAD to start the next day then maybe. But as others have said you can hear it operating. Mine makes a faint hissing sound. but if it's windy or a lot of traffic you my not hear it.Having the right oil in the crankcase makes all the difference in the world on a zero degree morning. Later......

Jmeling
02-24-2014, 16:31
Still won't start and nothing from heater. Man I love Mondays lol

Dvldog8793
02-26-2014, 06:46
Probably already did this, but make sure your starting system is 100%. Batteries charged and connections are clean. These engines need to spin over fast to start. This can also effect the glow system.
Worst case is that you end up tarping the front of the truck and put a heater under the engine. I have done this many times. 10-15 degrees can make a big difference.
We are heading for more cold weather so good luck!

Jmeling
02-26-2014, 16:19
Thanks Dvldog. Yep batteries charged and connections good. But we getting another round of cold this week so not even trying. The old girl is mainly the family camper puller so still got a few months before really need it.

Have read though many post on here and learned a lot that didn't know and thanks to all for the input!!!

Dvldog8793
02-27-2014, 04:20
Yes....Many great articles and a ton of knowledge!
I would start with checking the free stuff on your rig, glow circuit, battery and ground cables, make sure you have good fuel to the injectors, ect...
All these things can be found in the search bar....
Good luck