PDA

View Full Version : Air!!!

COYOTE102076
04-02-2014, 19:23
Hey guys. Just kinda echoing what I am sure many here already knew, but ,,,,,,,,, I "will tell" anyways. :-)

1982 K10 129k mi. 6.2 w. rebuilt TH400 trans.
So when I traded for my truck, it had been sitting for the most part of "5 years" (Later to find out it was 8 years! :-/ )
The PO had last used it as a cab tractor to rake hay in the summer and put out hay in the winter. (Since it had, and still has, working A/C & Heat)
When he got a real cab tractor 8 years ago, the truck was parked in the shed and, for the most part, forgot about.
When I got the truck it was in straight solid shape, MOSTLY rust fee, and the frame was true & straight.
I had to put 4 tires, 2 batteries, a new water pump, and change all the fluids. I sanded down and repainted it with Dupli-Color "Paint Shop" junk and did the hood, top of cab, and bottom 1/4 of the truck with spray on Duplicolor bedliner. (TOUGH stuff!!!!)
After a few days of driving the truck, it got progressively harder and harder to start. Drove me NUTS trying to find the problem!
FINALLY I gave up and decided the main injector pump was bad. We already installed a electric fuel supply pump. Just as a last ditch (hope) effort after reading a LOT of post's on this website from the search feature, I replaced ALL the rubber fuel lines.
TA DAAAAA!!!!!
Problem solved!
Now the glow plug light cycles once, I hit the key, and it comes to life like a brand spanking new truck!!!
Good grief!!!!
All that time money on glow plugs, controller, solenoid, filters, pump timing, electric pump add on, and all it was was about $10 worth of 1/4" and 3/16" Gates fuel lines and about 2 hrs of my time! (I work kinda slow)
:D

Future reference: If anyone reading this is having hard to start problems, start with the cheap rubber lines FIRST!!! LOL

Edahall
04-03-2014, 16:55
Since we are talking about old rubber and the problem it causes, you might also want to invest in a new harmonic balancer if that hasn't already been done.

COYOTE102076
05-13-2014, 19:28
Since we are talking about old rubber and the problem it causes, you might also want to invest in a new harmonic balancer if that hasn't already been done.

New one goes on next week. ;)

Subzilla
06-17-2014, 05:56
Glad to hear of your success. Don't know how many times I was chasing a rabbit trail only to find it was some $2 part or a 10 minute fix! Usually the next thing to try to resolve a engine performance issue is the fuel filter. Yours should have 2. Keep spares in the vehicle for on the road fix. Had to do this once or twice.