PDA

View Full Version : Leaking fuel... injector or line or return hose?

Corpse
04-05-2014, 05:49
so I have a 1983 K5 Blazer with a 6.2L, it leaves a diesel puddle everytime I park it. The leak is coming from the passenger side around the two front injectors.

Can i hose down the whole area with brake clean? I want to determine the source of the leak. I don't want to damage rubber hoses if brake clean does damage rubber (I'm not sure)

once I determine the leak I just want a cheap fix, since this motor is being tossed for a replacement (bad knock)

Dvldog8793
04-05-2014, 08:13
Just to be on the safe side I would use an electrical cleaner that states it is plastic safe. These will be more expensive than BPC but will not damage any other parts that it might contact.
Sounds like it could be your return lines...? Have you ever replaced them?

Corpse
04-07-2014, 04:54
I have not replaced any part of the fuel system, should I post a picture of the wet area?

Dvldog8793
04-07-2014, 06:34
Pictures are always good. The fuel return lines are normally suspect and are cheap relatively easy to replace.

More Power
04-10-2014, 13:52
The rubber portion of the motor mounts can be damaged by certain automotive liquids, including motor oil. So, I'd work to keep them dry.

Three possible leak sites for each injector:

1- Flexible fuel return hose.
2- High pressure fitting.
3- Injector body. These injector bodies are 2-piece units that thread together. Others have experienced fuel leaks at that joint.

Corpse
05-02-2014, 05:44
What kind of line/hose do i get for the (im assuming return) rubber ones going between injectors, what kind clamps do i get?(hoses have been rubbed through in spots)

also, other than buying the injector itself, what other misc pieces do i need for injector replacement (its leaking on the side of the injector)

how much time do you think this jobs will take? just wanna plan out my time

thanks for the help

DmaxMaverick
05-02-2014, 07:07
For the return lines, get a kit. They're about $25 and include all the pieces you'll need, including the end caps. If you try to piece it together or use "suitable" line, it'll be a headache later on. Guaranteed.

A complete injector set will often come with the seals, so check that first. If you're replacing injectors, you'll need an injector replacement kit, which will include the copper washer seals. I've reused old coppers and it's about a 50/50 shot. Some don't seal, and others just crack right away.

A couple TDP supporting vendors have both at competitive prices. Beware of anything "Ebay" or unknown.