PDA

View Full Version : Easiest way to drain the coolant on an LB7 is?

chessy56
04-08-2014, 05:56
I'm not seeing a drain valve on my '01 LB7. What's the easiest way to drain the radiator if I need to replace a water pump or injector(s)? Also, do I need to drain the radiator if I replace the injector pump?

rapidoxidationman
04-08-2014, 14:17
Easiest?
Remove the lower radiator hose from the radiator. Good to have a couple of wide mouth buckets under it (you're going to fill more than 1 five gallon bucket), or better yet the bottom 12" of a 50 gallon drum. Might not want to do this with a hot engine...

Someone with more knowledge may chime in here, but I think there's a lot of cooling system related plumbing that has to be removed to replace the injector pump.

If the antifreeze isn't that old, and IF you can keep it clean, you can save a few bucks and reuse it. If not, pay the disposal fee, fill up with fresh 50/50 dexcool/distilled water, and forget about it for another 150K:)

Kennedy
04-09-2014, 06:49
To the best of my knowledge, all LB7 and LLY had a drain on the tank.

In the case of Chessy56 just having had head gaskets the coolant would most likely have been done at the same time. I'd also have suggested that much of the work questioned be done at the same time. I suspect that if the injectors and lines were reused they won't last exceptionally long, and the water pump is pretty quick and easy with engine out or body lifted.

tx dave
04-14-2014, 18:42
There is a drain plug on the passenger side of the radiator. It's hard to find but it is there. Remove the plastic guard underneath and you will see it, getting to it is harder.

More Power
04-15-2014, 10:12
This is an LB7 radiator. The drain valve is pointed to in this photo.

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/data/500/Radiator-Drain-Valve.jpg