PDA

View Full Version : I had to eat an ice cream first to fix my charging problem,...

phantom309
04-17-2014, 19:47
The Log haul is over, so the long trek from the west back east.
I took the equipment down from fort st john bc to vernon bc,
Hauled the pickup on one of the log trailers, left vernon sunday morning for the 4000+ kilometer drive home,...
I had been having problems with the tach being erratic, and i thought it was the alternator plug,. so i bought a new one, (plug) and soldered it in,. it seemed to fix the problem so off i went.
Fast forward to the middle of Butfork nowhere Idaho,. and the tach starts reading 4-5000 rpm,. meh,. who needs a tach anyway right?
well then it quits completely and i notice the voltage creeping up,. then it spikes enough that the red light comes on in the dash,.interesting! i never knew it would warn of an over charge situation,..
So i stopped wiggled the plug,. unplugged a couple of times the tach started working again,.I carried on,.
Fast forward, to the middle of butfork Montana,. and again,. its over charging,. then not charging, the tach is on,. off,.
So i poke around,. and figure out that if i jam my knife inbetween the black plastic plug and the alternator case,. everything works perfect,.
So i need a wedge,.. i went into the rest stop for a pee,. and noticed the vending machines,...EUrekAH! I bought an ice cream,. carefully removed the good stuff with my mouth, and used the popsicle stick to wedge the [plug over, and it's still working fine!! tach is steady and so's the voltage,.
MacGyver would have been proud,..!!

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e157/wtfuashols123/FBACD158-2A0B-4AEF-82EA-4F33C59C2F44-624-000001434DA3AE86_zpsaf8f0f00.jpg?t=1397780259

The price of fuel has moved this old pickup back to house strictly for a winter local vehicle,.even getting 20+ miles to the gallon, its waaay to expensive to drive long distance,.

Nick

a5150nut
04-17-2014, 20:27
So how are you doing with your patent application for your Super Stick ? :D

Royalties might afford you some fuel to be able to drive your truck!

More Power
04-18-2014, 10:24
Good job! Maybe a broken solder joint that connects the pins of the connector to circuit board? This sounds a little like the problem the wiper motor in these vehicles experienced. With the wiper motor, just disassembling it far enough to resolder the electrical connector pins solved an intermittent wiper problem.

phantom309
04-19-2014, 06:24
So how are you doing with your patent application for your Super Stick ? :D

The original super stick has been retired for a while now,.:),..

but I still get some residuals,.from my adult film work,.;)