PDA

View Full Version : Mechanic for engine install

TGVet
04-19-2014, 09:01
I'm finally ready to install a new 6.5 in my Sub and looking for a mechanic that KNOWS the 6.5's inside and out. I would probably remove it to save on labor.

North Western Washington.

phantom309
04-20-2014, 06:37
I don't understand what you are looking for? someone to make a house call?
If you can remove a 6.5, why cant you re-install one?

TGVet
04-20-2014, 09:07
I have a place to remove it, its a time constraint on installing it.

john8662
04-21-2014, 12:26
Bring it to Lubbock, TX and I'll do it.

General about my shop www.uniquediesel.com

TGVet
04-22-2014, 09:12
It's tempting but I can't believe there isn't someone in my area such as yourself. When is the best time to give you a call ?

trbankii
04-22-2014, 16:25
If you can remove a 6.5, why cant you re-install one?

I have a place to remove it, its a time constraint on installing it.

Personally, I'm one to have the same person remove AND install. Less chance of miscommunication, missing parts, misconnected parts, etc, etc...

john8662
04-23-2014, 09:24
That's exactly what I suggest as well, same person removal and install.

TGVet
04-25-2014, 15:16
I've been doing a fair amount of research trying to figure out who, why and where to get the damn thing from. I'm a little frustrated but it's not without cause, I am detail oriented and believe in doing my homework.

So I heard SS does a "bait and switch", stay away.
Then after some searching I found the outfit I "thought" was a good one, NO BS, all good parts. Even their website states it so.

More contradictions......

So after a bit of email exchange with a member here whom seem to "know his poop", I email the dude at Bostic basically demanding an explanation.

Here is my email to the company:

Jeff,
I'm discovering quite a bit of contradicting and negative info about Bostic Motors. You claimed both in writing on your 6-5.com site and verbally to me on 4/23/14 there are "NO China/Asian made parts in or on your 6.5 diesels."

Please explain.

I will post the answer(s) if he replies.

Also, back a ways in the forum a member said he wanted to "see the shop and workmanship put into the builds". He was refused access to the business which was in the same town as he. I'm even more discouraged about them (Bostic) now.

I was also told by Jeff that the P400 is not made to go into my truck.

Head banging wall now.

john8662
04-25-2014, 17:48
The only thing i have to add here is that yes a P400 doesn't fit. I would recommend an Optimizer 6.5L (which looks the same externally as your factory engine). The P400 is another beast of it's own, pictures are out there on the net, you'll see the full girdle outfit on the bottom of the engine, this and the pan are what doesn't just bolt in a 4x4 truck without modification.

J

sctrailrider
04-26-2014, 04:32
The ONLY thing that a P400 motor needs to fit in a 4x4 is a different oil pan. Penn diesel gets 600$ for the new pan that fits the 4x4........

I believe the P400 would be the BEST 6.5 to purchase if you plan to keep the truck...

ddparker
05-05-2014, 18:31
I am having a Peninsula long block installed locally (Alberta Canada), they have been at it for a week which seems like to many hours. What do you use for book hours to R & R a 6.5 longblock in a K3500, using new injectors and glow plugs.

Thanks
Don

Bring it to Lubbock, TX and I'll do it.

General about my shop www.uniquediesel.com

jrsavoie
05-11-2014, 08:09
Depends on how many hours they are actually working on the truck. 2 weeks is excessive. Unless they ran into some hard to find parts they had to round up.

I've had 3 hour jobs run into weeks because I was picky on the parts I chose. I usually can not make myself do a complete parts needed inventory before I start - seems even if I try I still have surprises.

I have also kicked myself later for getting in a hurry and using parts available instead of waiting for my preferred parts to be shipped.

Most recent example of that is the Napa steering box on the 1996 Suburban. There is a highly rated aftermarket that I would have preferred to use