PDA

View Full Version : DB2 pump tiny filter location?

Dennydiesel
04-22-2014, 19:30
1993 Chevy K2500 4WD 6.5L Turbo Diesel, DB2 pump and egr delete model.

Hi all, looking for the location of the little filter that's suppose to be somewhere on the injection pump. I assume it's on the line from the filter manager to the injection pump?

Also a quick question. I was towing my rv trailer and all of a sudden my truck started smoking from under the hood. I took a look and smoke was puffing out of the oil dipstick tube and the oil fill tube. I changed the oil, slapped a new air filter in and cleaned the cdr valve. Still smoking? I checked the cdr valve and it does hold vacuum without bleeding off.
Is there something that I'm missing here or I guess it's a compression test next. What would.be the lowest psi expected? Truck has had a miss at idle and a slight surge at cruise speed.

I love my Chevy diesel and would love to keep her on the road. RV trailer is worthless without it. I have looked through the forums, but a little confused. A little clarification would be appreciated. Thanks.

phantom309
04-22-2014, 19:59
I would do a compression test before you go any further,.don't get hung up on compression numbers,. just look for one or two that are way lower than the others,.i.e less than 50%,.

Looking for the wee filter in the DB2 pump, is just denial,..

Dennydiesel
04-22-2014, 20:04
That's what I thought. Thank you. And denial is exactly what it is. Engines for these are not cheap. Rebuilding it myself is atleast $2500 to do it right.

DmaxMaverick
04-22-2014, 20:55
I agree, a compression test is where to start. It's best to do on an engine up to operating temp. If you must, it can be done cold, but the numbers won't be near accurate. It's the trend you're looking for, as phantom said. Also, don't worry about the fuel inlet screen without a specific reason, which is extremely rare.

DmaxMaverick
04-22-2014, 20:59
Also, the CDR is normally open. Unless it's blocked in some way, it won't cause excessive blowby. It's purpose is to prevent excessive vacuum on the crankcase at higher RPM. This would not be an issue with excessive blowby.

Dennydiesel
04-22-2014, 21:06
The filter screen I wanted to check as I had to replace my fuel tank, sock, and sending unit a couple months ago due to rust in my tank. It was plugging the sock. I changed my fuel filter the other day and rust was present, but only in the filter manager. I'll hold off on that until my compression check tomorrow. Don't want to put any more money or time in this engine if the compression is low. It does have 260,000 on it. Was hoping to get 50,000 more out of it. Will post my results tomorrow.

Dennydiesel
04-22-2014, 21:08
What's intriguing is it's not low on power at all?