PDA

View Full Version : dual batteries

CowboyX
04-23-2014, 17:10
This is my first post here. I searched for the duel battery topic but I didn't find what I was looking for.
I 've had to boost my truck a couple of times the last few days. I had 1 battery on the charger over night and now when I check to see the charging rate with my multi meter, the drivers side battery( which was charged over night) is charging at a rate of 13.8 volts and the other battery is charging at 12.6 volts.
Is it time for new batteries or alternator?

Artworks
04-23-2014, 18:09
New batteries

greatwhite
04-23-2014, 19:26
Sounds like a bat on its way out.

Pull 'em both out and have a local garage load test 'em for ya.

Of note: a bad bat connected to a good bat with kill the good bat in fairly short order.

Get 'em checked....:)

CowboyX
04-23-2014, 19:45
Will do. The problem is partly because I didn't change then both at the same time although it wasn't supper long between from one to the other. And the other thing is they are both costco batteries.
I looked into new batteries last week and the best batteries I can get here are Oddesy AGM batteries , but they are $250 each. The next best are $180 each.

bmoeller
04-23-2014, 20:56
Also check the condition of the connecting cables between the batteries and to the ground points. Corrosion can sneak into the connectors junction to the cables and be very hard to see unless you actually probe the insulation at the connection. (personal experience)

Robyn
04-24-2014, 07:58
The ground cables and the crossover cable are notorious for failing

bmoeller has it spot on.

The cables corrode deep inside right at the terminal ends and so do the grounds.

Nearly impossible to visually inspect

What year is the rig ?? cables original ???

Missy

CowboyX
04-24-2014, 13:23
It's a 96 and as far as I know the cables are original, although they don't look too bad

Dvldog8793
04-24-2014, 13:57
Howdy
I have had GREAT luck with both Interstate batteries and Optima. I had a Odyssey in my Motorcycle and will not be buying another on of those. Personally I would buy whatever brand you can get with good local service and warranty.

If you are at all handy with electrical stuff go out and buy yourself some heavy gauge welding wire and make up your own cables. Make sure all the crimp connections are clean, sealed and TIGHT.

The cross over cable is a huge draw and basically turns into a great big resistor over the years. This tends to act like a low(or BAD) voltage battery and will eat your other battery. If you don't replace them at the same time you will most likely not be happy. I even try to get two batteries with the same date code. I have three vehicles with two batteries and 4 others with singles. So when one starts acting up the bad battery goes for the core and the good one gets rotated to whatever has the oldest battery.

Hope this helps!

trbankii
04-24-2014, 16:20
Ironically, your misspelling is the heart of the problem. As one of the dual batteries goes bad, the batteries start to duel until they're both bad. :p

CowboyX
04-24-2014, 16:38
I am a welder buy trade and a couple of years ago became a red seal millwright as well so making my own cables won't be a problem. Was the odyssey a AGM type? For now my battery problem has to take a back seat, I'll start another tread for the other issue I'm dealing with

Dvldog8793
04-24-2014, 17:00
The Odyssey was a sealed dry cell made more for airplanes and then adapted to motorcycles. Their AGM might be a better battery, still not sure if it would be worth the cash. I had two red top optimas and the lasted 6 six years. I had two car-quest AGMs that lasted 5 years. How long is the truck going to be in service? I think just about any reputable AMG or gell type battery would be a good bet.

CowboyX
04-24-2014, 17:20
I need a truck for the foreseeable future and if I decide to rebuild the engine then even longer

DmaxMaverick
04-24-2014, 23:38
I have/use Optima Yellow-Tops. Going on 10 years now in my 2001, still as good as new. Expensive, yes, but 10 years on a battery(ies) is nothing to scoff at.

Always replace them as pairs. As said, a bad battery will kill a good one, when connected in parallel.

16gaSxS
05-01-2014, 11:02
;)

A buddy who's a Top notch Aircraft mechanic (A&P AI) told me a number of years ago to rotate the batteries once a year and I would get longer life from the pair. I buy inexpensive batteries from a local Battery vender and in the fall I stop by for service and have them rotated my average battery life increased 2-3 years just by doing that. They think I'm nuts but it works.:)

CowboyX
05-01-2014, 13:46
Thanks for the info.

I'll swap my this weekend