PDA

View Full Version : Budget trans?

ejanda
05-08-2014, 14:15
SO IS THERE SUCH A THING AS A A UPGRADED TRANS AT A BUDGET PRICE? 2004 LB7 HERE. SHE HAS A TRANS GO JR IN IT WITH A DEEP PAN. NOTHING IS SUPER WRONG IT RIGHT AT THIS MOMENT BUT A COUPLE OF W.O.T ON THE TOLL WAY AND SHE SLIPS A LITTLE BIT SO I BACK OUT OF THE THROTTLE. AND IT SHIFT HARD AT TIMES, ONLY LIMPED IT ONE TIME LAST YEAR.:confused::confused::confused:

Kennedy
05-09-2014, 06:57
My best advice is to keep the programming safe and not slip the trans. As far as I am concerned there is no reliable inexpensive trans mod. What happens is a guy does a light mod (like the Transgo Jr) then tries to find the limit (which never really changes) and eventually hurts the trans. So then they balk at the price and someone tells them they can build a god trans for less. The owner comes out of this thinking it's invincible and as good as a fully built trans. He goes and adds a bunch more power and hurts it again. Now the Allison gets a bad rep for being a weak piece of crap which just is not true.

To me the key is smart programming that does not give enough TQ to hurt the trans. I have or have had all manner of power levels and transmissions. I have really some back to preferring smart tuning on a stock trans which is how my latest 2 trucks are set up.

More Power
05-21-2014, 13:49
We've had this review up for a long time because it shows what a transmission should have to hold onto more power. A good read!

http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/atstrans.htm