PDA

View Full Version : Hot Shot's Secret?

coxfmly
05-20-2014, 20:40
Any thoughts on a diesel oil additive called "hot shot secret, Stiction Eliminator"??

Thanks

Kennedy
05-21-2014, 08:21
Tried and true=FPPF Total Power

Does it all and exceptionally well at that.

More Power
05-21-2014, 10:46
Any thoughts on a diesel oil additive called "hot shot secret, Stiction Eliminator"??

Thanks

Generally, oil additives aren't necessary when using quality API certified motor oil. Jim

coxfmly
05-21-2014, 15:40
is Stiction an issue on all diesels?

Dvldog8793
05-21-2014, 18:16
Not sure what they are referencing as "stiction" in the engineering world stiction is the slang combination of "static Friction". It's more of a threshold than something that builds up or can be removed. I could go into a big detailed explanation but it probably would be boring.
Anyways....I am not sure how it would relate to injectors...? The company that you are asking about makes it sound like stiction is some kinda nasty build-up that needs to be cleaned....:rolleyes:
IMHO....anyone coining a term that doesn't really apply to what they are trying to sell would make the product suspect at best. Most likely snake oil. I am sure snake oil probably has some good uses, but I don't know of any in diesel engines.

As to oil....
As stated, a good API oil is just fine, a GREAT filter makes it even better, and regular oil changes make it best. I have used an additive in my older rigs to bring the zinc levels higher.

Hope this helps!

DmaxMaverick
05-21-2014, 23:29
is Stiction an issue on all diesels?

Nope. Only Navistar Diesel engines in regards to light trucks.

coxfmly
05-22-2014, 20:42
Thanks for the info...

PowerstrokeGuy
05-23-2014, 08:57
Not sure what they are referencing as "stiction" in the engineering world stiction is the slang combination of "static Friction". It's more of a threshold than something that builds up or can be removed. I could go into a big detailed explanation but it probably would be boring.
Anyways....I am not sure how it would relate to injectors...? The company that you are asking about makes it sound like stiction is some kinda nasty build-up that needs to be cleaned....:rolleyes:
IMHO....anyone coining a term that doesn't really apply to what they are trying to sell would make the product suspect at best. Most likely snake oil. I am sure snake oil probably has some good uses, but I don't know of any in diesel engines.

As to oil....
As stated, a good API oil is just fine, a GREAT filter makes it even better, and regular oil changes make it best. I have used an additive in my older rigs to bring the zinc levels higher.

Hope this helps!
Dvldog,
I’m actually a customer service rep for Hot Shot, and you are correct that “stiction” is a term used in engineering. But it is also a term that we coined, that is used by International/Navistar, to refer to burnt on oil inside of HEUI style injectors (mainly the 6.0 PSD). In a HEUI injector the engine oil is actually what fires the injector. High pressure oil (3-4k PSI) pushes against an intensifier piston that works somewhat like a jack to pressurize the fuel to, in some cases, 30,000 PSI or more. The tolerances of the various valves in the injector are extremely tight (measured in 1/1000’s of an inch) and this is where the stiction builds up; causing the injector to not fire right, mostly notably on cold starts. The Stiction Eliminator was designed specifically to address this issue, and works very well with this issue. I wouldn’t call it a miracle in a bottle (or snake oil) but in the right application it can work wonders. Not only does it clean the stiction in the injectors, but also any burnt oil deposits in the rest of the motor. As far as with coxfmly’s 6.2 turbo diesel, I believe that has a mechanical injector driven from a rotary injection pump (I’m a Ford guy so I’m not sure), so stiction in the injectors is not really an issue, and you won’t see a major difference in using the product. Our products would still help in the fact that they have very strong detergents that can help clean things like the turbo, and the Diesel Extreme fuel additive will also help clean the injector tips. But like you said, one of the best things you can do is use a high quality oil and change it regularly!

Dvldog8793
05-23-2014, 11:09
Learn something new everyday!;)

a5150nut
05-23-2014, 14:29
Learn something new everyday!;)

And from a Ford guy to boot! :D:D

Now I will have to pass that info to my son who has a 2000 6.0.

DmaxMaverick
05-23-2014, 21:36
And from a Ford guy to boot! :D:D

Now I will have to pass that info to my son who has a 2000 6.0.

If he has a 2000 6.0, he should be REALLY concerned (they started in 2003).