PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 Oil Sending Unit Replacement?

ChevyCummins
05-23-2014, 16:48
The 97 OSU is located under the intake at rear as many may know. It has a slight angle that is preventing me from getting the special socket on, which I always used for earlier models. Is there a new removal tool for this setup or do you have to remove the intake?
Thanks

Stevediesel
05-27-2014, 17:53
I just changed mine on a 94 6.5, if it's the same set up, there is a bracket that has various plugs attached to it that is bolted to the top of the fuel filter housing. If you remove the bolts, you can move the bracket off to the side, and get the tool in a little easyer. It is still tight, but do-able.. if you need more room, you can also move the fuel filter, and housing a little bit without disconnecting any lines.

daCat
05-27-2014, 20:49
The '94 and '97 are not mounted in the same location. The '94 is hard to get to, but the '97 is near impossible without intake removal. Somebody here may have a trick for it, and if so, I'd love to read about it.

ChevyCummins
05-28-2014, 04:40
I also have a 94 and the ops local changed in 96-GM engineers what were you thinking again?

ChevyCummins
05-28-2014, 04:55
What I ended up doing was: move fuel mgr back (as far as possible w/o removing lines) and using a 1" crow's foot with an extension. The ops usually takes a 1 1/8 wrench or deep well socket. It would be wise to consider using a ops line/flexible hose extension (both 92-95- and 96-up). They sell them on ebay or make one up. If you make yours up be sure to ground it.

john8662
05-28-2014, 08:05
I don't know who decided to start putting that there in the 96+ Trucks. Since the block is the same as the G-Vans and Hummers starting in 1996 Rear Turbo application, they made the casting in the valley to mount the OPS there as it would conflict with a rear-turbo engine. The truck blocks are the same as the rear turbo blocks, they just don't get the additional machining for the oil pressure and return in the back.

Yeah, it's a PITA location under the intake in a truck. Not so bad in a van with split intakes though.

J

ChevyCummins
05-28-2014, 13:28
Surely, the GM engineers did. 96 and up 6.5 truck engine have 2 ops ports, they just plugged the earlier design off and cast in the new local. Hummers/Vans not sure about old port local.
John, I hope you're doing well.
Michael S