PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Elimination

Pat Meehan
05-26-2014, 06:05
Hi All
Anybody ever just run their 6.5 without the turbo ? In my case the vehicle is never heavily loaded,run at high speed or high altitude. I'm curious about fuel settings and the resistor in the PDM. 1997 Silverado 5 speed. Thanks

daCat
05-26-2014, 08:04
Say goodbye to power and fuel mileage.

DmaxMaverick
05-26-2014, 09:55
Yeah, less power. But, economy can be improved significantly, depending on how the truck is worked, especially since it's a manual tranny.

The resistor is irrelevant. You'll need either an OEM PCM from a N/A truck (panel van, delivery truck, etc.) or a custom program.

If it's a LD (L56) equipped truck, you'll also have emission equipment and associated programming to consider. If you are required to have it inspected, it will have to be correct for that year's similarly equipped truck. I don't believe 1997 offered a 6.5L N/A in the regular truck line (limited to fleet and chassis sales), so you may have to be creative.

Pat Meehan
05-31-2014, 04:00
What makes the PMD different? Less fuel at every throttle position ,or is there more to it than that? My next big project is taking out the windshield and hoping the cancer hasn't gone thru the sheet metal.

DmaxMaverick
05-31-2014, 10:23
There is no "different" PMD.

It's more than only fuel volume at X throttle position.
The fuel volume and timing map is controlled by the PCM, and they are different between turbo and N/A. You could just use the original turbo program, but you'd see a lot of black smoke, horrible fuel economy, and likely melted pistons. Governed maximum fuel volume is also an issue, and relying on only "less foot pressure" isn't a solution. The PCM will also have issues with anticipated sensory data input, likely causing perpetual "Limp Mode".

If it were an auto tranny, you'd also have to address that.

Pat Meehan
06-02-2014, 05:12
Where would you look for a non turbo PMD ,all the popular sites only list for turbo. Rock Auto ,Autozone etc. Thanks Again

DmaxMaverick
06-02-2014, 15:33
Where would you look for a non turbo PMD ,all the popular sites only list for turbo. Rock Auto ,Autozone etc. Thanks Again
Where? Nowhere. There is no "non turbo PMD". A PMD is a PMD. They are all the same, as far as application goes.

You need a "non turbo PCM" (Powertrain Control Module). The computer mounted above the glove compartment.

Or.....
Convert it to a mechanical fuel system and forget about all that computer stuff you won't need.

Pat Meehan
06-12-2014, 16:16
Alright the PCM I'll have to start looking for info on that ,any good ideas?

Warren96
07-16-2014, 09:23
Why would you want to do all of these modifications for? For example every time I fuel up, i wish mine could get better mileage, but a non aspirated 6.5L only can do 1 or 2 MPG better. If MPG is your goal there are much easier ways to do it.