PDA

View Full Version : Back together finally

gvig
05-29-2014, 19:54
Took the truck apart about 7 years ago. Did a really thorough rebuild, 18-1 pistons .040 over, Scat cast steel crank, Fluidamper, DSG cam gear drive, splayed mains from Kennedy. Got a bit side tracked, finally got it together this week. Got the engine in the truck on Tuesday, fired it up on Wednesday then it wouldn't start again until today (Thursday). Found my trusty old FSD and my spare had both taken a vacation. Borrowed a working FSD from a friend and voila... it runs.

Gotta buy a good FSD. What is the feel for Pensacola Diesel and their Flight Systems FSD? Any data on their reliability? The price is good but I don't look to be a pedestrian for a while.

16gaSxS
05-29-2014, 20:12
Gotta buy a good FSD. What is the feel for Pensacola Diesel and their Flight Systems FSD? Any data on their reliability? The price is good but I don't look to be a pedestrian for a while.

GM left Stanadyne and is now selling the Flight Systems FSD/PMD. As best as I can find out the Flight Systems Unit is "THE TICKET". MADE IN the good old USA. Dorman has a Life time on it but folks have had troubles with it. The Cardone unit is a refurbished, and Stanadyne I wouldn't trust since they created the POS PMD in the first place and it's taken them almost 20 years to come up with a "better unit". I passed on that route. Good luck and enjoy.

arveetek
06-01-2014, 15:04
I'm a fan of the Dtech FSD:

http://www.dtechproducts.com/Products/GM-6-2L-6-5L/DT19209057

My first one lasted 7 years (on a remote FSD Cooler in front of the driver's side battery). I just purchased my second one a little over a month ago.

The genuine Stanadyne model I had before that lasted only a year.

Casey

gvig
06-10-2014, 15:30
Well, if Pensacola Diesel is to be believed, the D-tech is made by Flight Systems, so I bought a Flight Systems FSD with a 60 inch extension and mounted it in front of the battery on the drivers side, coolest place under the hood I could find. So far it works well. Engine is slowly breaking in, still suffering from the smokey starts, may have to extend the glow times a bit. That seems to be the way of life for us 18 to 1 people. :D