PDA

View Full Version : Please help me from burning this thing to the ground

65-f100
06-09-2014, 19:30
OK guys and gals - please bear with me for the history. 96 Sub K2500 with a little over 300K. My third IP was going out so I parked it for a while. Finally decided to get it back together a few weeks ago. NAPA warrantied the IP which had run very well for a little over 2 years.

Prior to the last IP - the following were replaced due to getting a bad load of fuel: fuel tank - sending unit assembly (Delco) - new lift pump, Fuel filter / manager assembly (new Delco). Flushed all the fuel lines as well. Like I said it was running very well until the hesitation and hard start issues started and I got the IP codes.

So back to a couple of weeks ago. Decided to do some other upgrades and repairs while I had it down. Bought a new water pump, Timing Gear set to replace the chain set, and based on advice from this site added a Racor 230R2 between the factory filter and the IP. Got it started and it was running pretty well. Was able to check the timing but did not have time to adjust it before taking a trip. Timing was at approx. -2.56. Took in on a 3.5 hour trip and drove there and back and for approx a week with no issues. IP code was on because of the timing and it was shifting a little firm but not terrible.

Last weekend - borrowed my friends scanner to set the timing. Played around with the KOKO procedure multiple times and finally got it dead on -1.94, locked it down, and took it for a test run. Full throttle run and it was not pulling very strong and delayed on the shifting. Turned around for another FT run and the same thing. Would not shift out of 2nd gear. I left off the throttle and it finally shifted but the truck cut off at the same time. Luckily I coasted almost back to my house. Tried to start it and it was as if the batteries were dead. Tried jumping and it would turn over a little better but still no luck. After trying again the next dead - nothing. Pretty sure I had killed the starter with the KOKO procedure.

Tonight - got the starter warrantied and replaced and it now starts but not very easily and is running like total dogsh*! Doesn't want to idle well, cuts off when I put it in gear and I now have an intermittent chirping sound . I have no codes and I tried to move the IP just a little to see if it made any difference but it doesn't. Tried to isolate the chirping by removing the belt but the chirp is still there.

One note - previously I had only locked the IP down with the top nut. The bottom two nuts were on just not tight. It was like this the whole road trip. After getting the -1.94 I did tighten the other 2. Can't see why this would make a difference but thought it might be worth mentioning.

Can y'all please give me some direction here. It feels like the IP again but I do not have any codes and has maybe 700 miles on it.

Help!

65-f100
06-10-2014, 19:33
Come on guys, nothing?? I really love / hate this truck but I've put some much time energy and $ into it I really want to be able to enjoy it.

Any ideas?

16gaSxS
06-11-2014, 10:21
65-f100;

I feel for you. Do you have a spare PMD you could try. Just a shot in the dark.:confused:

Could poor grounds or electric be creating "gremlins"?

65-f100
06-11-2014, 12:43
I did check all the grounds. In fact I cleaned most of them while I had everything apart. I have not tried another PMD. I do have a spare though and will give that a shot. I have a bumper mounted Heath unit that has never given me any trouble but certainly worth a shot

Thanks

16gaSxS
06-11-2014, 15:42
I have not tried another PMD. I do have a spare though and will give that a shot. I have a bumper mounted Heath unit that has never given me any trouble but certainly worth a shot

Thanks

I had a Remote Heath Unit that the Driver gave it up after about 10 years. Not bad service.

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=43246

chirping....hmmm you took belt off still chirped.......crank dampener maybe???

just throwing out ideas..

phantom309
06-11-2014, 17:04
I,d check the oil pressure with a mechanical guage,.
perhaps, you've spun a main bearing,. making the motor tight, too tight to turn over,.the full throttle run, mebbe did it in,.
I have heard the same "chirping/squeaking" noise before,.:o

65-f100
06-11-2014, 18:22
Phantom - I sure hope you're wrong dude but that had crossed my mind as well. I'm going to try that spare PMD tomorrow and see what happens.

Dvldog8793
06-12-2014, 03:59
Chirping sound.....:confused: When you or anyone else figures this one out POST in great big letters. My truck has had the same noise for about 2 years. Belt removed no change. I have a fluid damper so that should eliminate the damper issue. Maybe the rubber mounted pulley? VERY annoying :mad:

After listening to all the stuff you tried....I would say your other issues might be internal:(. Do an oil analysis....

65-f100
06-12-2014, 05:00
Dvldog8793 - I have a FluidDamper as well so that shouldn't be it either. I'll let y'all know what I find out.

Warren96
06-18-2014, 07:25
Like devildog said my first move would be an oil analysis.

More Power
06-18-2014, 11:01
The hangup in 2nd could be due to a hard DTC, which prevents the transmission from upshifting into 3rd. Nothing really wrong with the trans, it's just that the engine control system is in limp mode.

Chirping... if you remove all external components and it's still there, it's got to be internal. Before going there, I'd be inclined to unbolt the torque converter from the flexplate, push it back, and then see if the chirp is still there. If so, the problem is internal to the engine.

Jim

Dvldog8793
07-15-2014, 12:53
Chirping sound solved....
Howdy
This is what I found. I have a fluid damper and have the "chirp sound" since it was installed. The damper was not making full contact with the relocator and the timing gear was clinking or "chriping". When I put the fluid damper on I torqued to spec, even broke one torque wrench doing it! It clearly was not sucked in all the way. I ended up pulling the pan to find this out. All my drive pulleys were lined up as they should be and the noise would only be present at idle. I had to order a new crank bolt so we will see if this fixes the chirp! I would be willing to bet that your sound is the same as mine since we both have fluid dampers.