PDA

View Full Version : '05 Smothering down with no power

bcarson
07-08-2014, 15:14
Yesterday, on a 400 mile trip to Red River my '05 DMax pulling a 30 foot fifth wheel, smothered down on three different occasions to the point that I had to pull over, switch off the ignition, and restart after a few minutes. Then I could pull back onto the highway as nothing had ever happened. This usually occurred when there was a need to downshift during a climb.

Has this happened to anyone else? I made my destination, but not without a very stressful day. It actually performed like it should when I got to the steep Red River pass. I just acquired this truck about a month ago, and have been very pleased with it until yesterday. The fuel filter was just replaced recently, but I checked anyway with Mr. Kennedy's fuel pressure gauge, and it showed to be okay.

This reminds me of an '03 Silverado gas guzzler I had a few years ago. It basically did the same thing. I just had to pull over and turn it off for a few minutes. It might be a few weeks to several months before it occurred again.
I would certainly appreciate all comments...I don't know what I've got here and not close to any good DMax technicians that I'm aware of. I just hope I can get back home without having major problems. Thanks in advance.

bcarson
07-08-2014, 15:34
Does this sound like an electronic/coumputer issue? Tranny issue? or what?

rapidoxidationman
07-08-2014, 18:14
Poke around on here for P0087 codes being thrown.
What codes do you see being set?

Ah. Here you go:
http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=35292

Sound familiar?

Kennedy
07-09-2014, 08:31
Yesterday, on a 400 mile trip to Red River my '05 DMax pulling a 30 foot fifth wheel, smothered down on three different occasions to the point that I had to pull over, switch off the ignition, and restart after a few minutes. Then I could pull back onto the highway as nothing had ever happened. This usually occurred when there was a need to downshift during a climb.

It actually performed like it should when I got to the steep Red River pass. I just acquired this truck about a month ago, and have been very pleased with it until yesterday. The fuel filter was just replaced recently, but I checked anyway with Mr. Kennedy's fuel pressure gauge, and it showed to be okay.

Good move. Saved you hundreds on unnecessary filter changes!

Steel can filter I hope?

Any chance you can find out the history of the rig? Any trouble codes set? Just because the light is not on does not mean no codes.

Angling towards transmission slip, but that usually results in trans shifting to direct drive. Still could be fuel supply related as well.

bcarson
07-09-2014, 13:04
Got it to dealership in Taos this morning...detected a code P-1093. Low fuel pressure under power enrichment. Recommended changing fuel filter to GM product. The filter only had a few hundred miles when I purchased the truck so I did not change it...but it was a NAPA after market product. I have been carrying a Baldwin filter with me...probably should have replaced it. Hopefully problem is solved.

Kennedy
07-10-2014, 06:44
I've had this call from plenty that have run the Wix/NAPA/Car Quest filters and had issues like this. In my observations it is a substandard filter. The OE filter went to a dual layer media years ago already yet this filter is a single layer. I seriously doubt that they have some sort of miracle media that can do with one layer/pass what others use two to do.

Lift pump...