PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Master- power loss!

DKeen
05-19-2005, 08:10
First- this is not a bash on Bill Heath, he has been very helpful and insightful. With that, here is the issue.

Truck specs: 1996, f code, 70K orignal miles and origanl owner.

After installing the turbo master, I am seeing a power loss under full throttle. Bill and I agree that it is due to the boost curve and the ECU shuts down fuel rate (no codes). Bill recommends an upgrade to the ECM due to the inability of the stock one to accept the curve. My questions are:
1. Has anyone else experienced this?
2. If so, how did you fix it? resister? backed off the boost a lot?

Not sure I want to go to the upgrade yet ($) so I am looking for alternatives, if there are any. I have only 70,000 miles on the truck and I just put on a New IP, lift pump, OPS, filter, electronic filter trying to resolve this.

Any input would be appreciated.

JohnC
05-19-2005, 08:15
8-10 psi is all you can get before the PCM figures out it no longer controls boost. At this point the PCM limits fuel to prevent possible overtemps. An electrical "boost fooler" avoids this, or you can install a PCM that is prgrammed to work with a manual boost control.

For now, just turn it down a little. Without extra fuel more than that is a waste anyhow.

Whitpirate
05-19-2005, 10:13
With the stock ECM you'll have to back way off on the boost. I just purchased the Turbo-Master and the ECM from Bill and WOW what a difference. I do tow quite a bit of hay from time to time and it made a big difference on my rig. Still waiting to open up the exhaust/airbox due to budgeting but if you've got the Turbo-master it is worth the ECM upgrade. I actually get better mileage with more power now but most of that could be attributed in my case to having no boost with the vaccum system.

markrinker
05-19-2005, 10:55
Whitpirate - what are your EGTs with stock exhaust under tow conditions?

Kennedy
05-19-2005, 12:15
I've always had the best results with the OBD2 trucks using the electronic method and retaining the OEM vacuum system.

If you set the boost beyond what the ECM wants you will set a code and reduce power after approx 12-15 seconds.

markrinker
05-19-2005, 13:14
I have installed two Turbo-Masters from Heath Diesel after numerous problems keeping the boost control systems operational on trucks #1 and #2 (mod details below in signtature).

Too many points of failure in the OEM system x two aging trucks = a simpler solution needed.

Both have been in service ~3 years, #1 with the stock '94 chip, and #2 with the Heath MaxiTorque 2.0 programming and other mods.

I've never had any issue with #1 cutting fuel, and have it 'turned up' slightly past what is recommended in the installation instructions. (I don't know the exact boost level, since I have no gauges on #1.)

Maybe there is a difference in the programming between our model years?

Turbine Doc
05-19-2005, 16:29
Mark programs should be same, the difference could be in your boost sensors try swapping between truck 1 &2 to see if it happens, sensors can go bad high, had it happen to me once so PCM does not know real boost level, same as adding a higher resistance value.

Dkeene too much boost can also cut back on too high a IAT need to scan it to see what PCM is seeing for boost & IAT. What is egt at time of cutback?

Kennedy
05-20-2005, 05:50
I guess it would be helpful to know what boost levels you are seeing?

Whitpirate
05-20-2005, 13:58
I don't know the exact IAT yet Mark as the gauges and exhaust go on the first of the month. I do know that I ran the Gorge "grade" and kept my foot out of it and didn't go over 200 water temp and did 50MPH in direct towing 3.5 ton of hay. Looking forward to exhaust/gauges/IC if I can work out a decent mounting point and take Kent's suggestion and use the ebay vendor for the IC itself.

Kennedy
05-20-2005, 19:14
I see a scary trend of guys doing the chip before the gauges and airflow/cooling enhancements. While there's no guarrantee thet pre-existing conditions won't get you anyhow, it is far better for the engine's health to do cooling, breathing and monitoring first with the 6.5...

rjschoolcraft
05-20-2005, 19:41
I agree whole heartedly. The first thing that I did was install gages. I was shocked at what I found...

Turbine Doc
05-20-2005, 22:04
Ditto on gauges I glossed over fact you did not have them, you really shouild not scrimp and save for any mod that adds boost or fuel without gauges, put the money to gauges and cooling mods 1st. Sort of the needing to learn to crawl before trying walking concept. Building power without putting engine at risk is a building block process.

Now that you have a TM, how short is your TM spring if you don't know what current boost level is I suspect you probably have the TM cranked in too much