PDA

View Full Version : Best Dmax replacement water pump

CoyleJR
07-27-2014, 12:29
My water pump just started to leak and I will be buying a replacement pump tomorrow. I remember several years ago there was a DP discussion about what the best replacement pump was for a Dmax. I did a search and could not find the old discussion. My truck is a 2006, LBZ and I am leaning toward buying a GM pump from the stealer. Has anyone found a good replacement pump other than a GM pump? Additionally, what is the price for a new pump these days. Does anyone have suggestions to make changing the pump go smoothly.
Thanks
John

rapidoxidationman
07-27-2014, 17:27
I have only my own experience to tell:

The GM pump lasted 6 months before the impeller spun on the shaft - or rather, the shaft spun as driven by the engine but the impeller was no longer being spun. It was replaced for free by the warranty (12 month/12,000 miles) and the new GM pump rests in my shed as a backup to the NAPA pump (lifetime warranty, considerably less cost) that I replaced the spun one with. That was over 2 years ago.

Kennedy
07-28-2014, 09:00
At one point we were selling LB7 and LLY water pumps with welded hub for the HP applications only. The pump that rapidoxidationman had fail was a GM/AC Delco pump from us. Since his application was not a race one it was not welded. We now weld the impeller and the gear to the shaft on all pumps to eliminate press fit issues.

The LBZ water pump has a composite impeller and seems to be pretty much safe from the impeller spinning issues.