PDA

View Full Version : Air in ABS system

Subzilla
07-28-2014, 18:47
Not sure where to post this but....
2011 Silverado 1500. I was flushing brake fluid for preventative maintenance and stupid me let the MC suck air. Now have spongy pedal. Chevy mechanic friend told me to apply air pressure to MC, then open bleeders at each wheel. He said the air should work out of the ABS system. Everything on the web says the only way to get it out is with a Tech2 tool. Will the pressure bleed resolve my issue? Too late/too tired/too frustrated with myself to try it tonight.:mad:

DmaxMaverick
07-28-2014, 19:50
The air pressure method will not bleed the system, and may make it worse (forcing the now smaller bubbles, further into the tiny ports). This was OK with early ABS systems, but not the later (1999+). With a Tech II, you can command the electric ABS pump to cycle, thus bleeding the air. It's the only way to do it within GM spec.

Then, there's the "other" way......
All you need is a dirt/gravel road. Perform several "brake checks" at low speed (20-35 MPH). This will do the same thing the Tech II does. Stand on the brakes until the ABS activates, then let off after one full second of activation. You should be able to get about 2-3 applies per cycle. You should notice the pedal firming up with each cycle. Repeat until it feels normal, plus one.

Subzilla
07-29-2014, 06:08
Thanks Mav. Yea, I also read about the other way. Would I need to rebleed the brakes after dirt road procedure? What happens to the air from the ABS?

I'm still kicking my stupid self....