PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 mechanical pump swap timing question

brandongarnold02
07-29-2014, 06:02
I have completed most of the conversion and I was driving it around the block and noticed it would pour out a large amount of light grey smoke and smelled like unburnt fuel. After messing with it last night I found that it I loosing the pump and turn it to the left of the truck there is less smoke when reving the engine. The pump is off a 92 P30 delivery truck and I am assuming it is a 6.2. I was wondering if the naturally asprated engine timing is more advanced than the electronic pump that came off it.

Yukon6.2
07-30-2014, 09:09
Hi Brandon
I just did a conversion on my 98 K3500.
I don't think there are any timing differences in the between electronic and mechanical engines.There is a cold timing advance built into the mechanic pump which is activated by 12 V.The feed comes through a temp sensitive sensor which is on the rear of the passenger head,same hole that the temp sender is in on the drivers side head.I removed the temp sender and installed a t with the temp sensor and temp sender in it.This feed also energizes the high idle solenoid.
Timing the converted engine is a little tougher because of no timing pointer by the harmonic balancer.
I have decided to time by ear and pyrometer gauge.
Hope this helps
Thomas

racer55
08-04-2014, 07:09
The mechanical IP's are timed by the marks on the IP and timing cover.

Turning the IP to the left when standing in frt of it retards the timing(passenger side).