PDA

View Full Version : Questionable Ebay truck observation.

Randee of the Redwoods
09-06-2003, 18:47
After my willyhoo with the disconnected cat pipe, I tried to remove the cat alltogether, but I couldn't get it unconnected from the next section of pipe. It was only clamped on, but the clamp crimped the tubing to the point where it wouldn't budge. I've been driving it a week with the clamp off in hopes it will loosen the joint. Which brings me to a question-I observed the whole exhaust to be just clamped together after the cat pipe. Hangers were welded to pipe sections in proper places to use the factory hangers, but the exhaust sections themselves were not welded together as I assumed they would be from the factory. Anybody have an opinion on this observation? I'll have to go back and see if there are any markings on the muffler to signify replacement, but I don't remember seeing any. Seeing every other part on this truck spotlessly Texas clean I don't believe the exhaust has been replaced. Maybe it's this way because it's a low production volume truck??

catmandoo
09-06-2003, 19:36
usually they are all welded, what you will have to do is get a torch and heat the pipe to get it apart i usually get em good and red and start wiggling ,this may help push the pipe back out to get it apart.

whatnot
09-06-2003, 20:36
I think they came clamped from the factory. Mine was (also bought on ebay from Texas) and my brothers '94 is clamped too.
Are you going to leave the cat off? If so, just cut behind the clamped part with a sawzall and get a slightly longer pipe to replace it.

Randee of the Redwoods
09-07-2003, 15:50
I was just thinking about that today(the cat). I may borrow a friend's sawzall and just cut the cat out of the pipe and put a straight piece in to replace it. That way I would retain the angled pieces that clear the torsion bar mount. Then I can just get a mandrel downtube and be set. I don't guess the stock muffler is all that restrictive.