PDA

View Full Version : Bad Boy PMD cooler

Robyn
08-10-2014, 15:36
Looking for a spare PMD cooler for the Dahoooley, as the current cooler was mounted on the intake AAAAArrrrgh

I have the long cable and such sitting on the shelf already

Stumbled onto this bad boy a bit ago.

It was made to cool an electronic device and is 4" x 10"

This will handily fit between the nostrils in the bumper and can be fastened in with a couple bolts behind the license plate bracket.

Plenty of air flow and easy to get to when you need to

I am thinking that some nice stand off bolts and wing nuts would be sweeeeeeet.

A quick reach in through the pass side nostril and remove the wing nuts and slide the cooler out
A quick swap could be made, even along side the road in a pinch.

I have seen so many cooler ideas, and most work, but are not easy to get to.

I may keep a known usable unit with an old plug in it on the cooler up on the engine as a backup

As long as its not energized it should do fine.

Either that or be able to toss the spare into the nostril and go.

Ahhhh yessss, the good old PMD thing

DmaxMaverick
08-10-2014, 18:05
I like it. Looks big enough to mount 2 FSD's. Storage for the spare, and an easy swap.

(thinking out loud)
The only thing I don't like about mounting the FSD in that location, is the possibility of a simple fender-bender stopping you cold. A small deer on a cold winter night in the middle of nowhere would do the same. OEM bumpers don't hold up to much.

Robyn
08-11-2014, 07:22
Good one Greg.

But just in case, I have my original cooler that has been mounted to the air hat.

That could be plugged in up top at the junction of the extension cable to the PMD cable.

I had a remote cooler on the 94 Burb, but it was inside the forward aluminum splash shield, and a beotch to get to if the weather was crappy

At any rate, I intend on carrying a spare :)

Not sure what this cooler/heat sink was for, as it was an ebay item, and the seller mentioned that it was not designed specifically for a PMD, but that two of the 6 holes in the cooler would line up and two needed to be drilled and tapped.

Whoooopy, a 10 minute job to transfer, drill and tap a couple 4-40 holes in some alloy

For $25 to the door, it will do fine.

A bit of good heat sink paste and were set.

RC

rustyk
08-11-2014, 14:52
Use some thermal paste to increase heat transfer.

Robyn
08-11-2014, 15:05
yup
:):):)

According to what I was able to dig up, the cooler was designed to house six TO-220 TRANSISTORS

It should do as well as the stuff that's peddled about the net for this application

Will at least look cool anyway :D

Robyn
08-13-2014, 13:32
Got the cooler today. :)

This beast is the MOTHER OF ALL PMD COOLERS

It weighs about 2 pounds.

The machined surface is very smooth and best of all, it will slip into the nostril in the bumper and easily fasten in with a couple bolts with wing nuts.

The huge fins should be able to dissipate a buttload of heat.

The main plate is a tad over 1/4 inch thick, so its going to stay rigid.

Gotta be as good as most of the patent skunk oil that's already on the market if not better