PDA

View Full Version : Can I use a 6.2 DB2-4779 to replace a 6.5TD DB2-4911 injection pump?

Natedogg024
08-15-2014, 12:44
Hello,
I'm new to the site and am excited to be a new member. I hope to gather knowledge from everyone and try to offer my opinion, or experience, to anyone.

So here goes my first post.

Some background info to start.
I am currently doing a restoration on my 1993 6.5TD; the motor and nv4500 was originally in a GMC k2500 standard cab long bed. The frame was rusting out and had some moderate to major front frame damage. I picked up a 1990 Z71 that was in spectacular shape -I was told the truck was from Florida- and it appeared to be true, because it had absolutely no rust. This was great, until I wanted to test out the 4 wheel drive (oops huge regret). nevertheless, I have stripped the frame down and have finished the first coat of pain. While the frame is nearly ready for re-assembly, I want to start working on the motor.
Moving on,
and bringing me to my main question. I, along the way, have acquired a DB2829-4779 IP that is from a 6.2 diesel. This pump is visually in vary good shape, BUT it has been boxed up and sitting on a shelf for easily 5 years, so is it still usable? and will it work in place of my old -approaching 200,000 mile DB2-4911 6.5TD pump?- Now i know i would be taking a step backwards going to a 6.2 pump but will it work?

Thanks for any help
Nate.