PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic coating, any recomendations.

eracers999
01-13-2005, 22:33
I've got a set of mahle .010 lower pistons that im going to trim another .020 off of and am having trouble finding a local place to have done. If anyone knows somone who is good and can turn these out quick, please let me know.

Thanks / Kent

grape
01-13-2005, 23:06
Don't just cut the pistons without figuring where your engine was to begin with. I've measured 2 engines now, and they weren't near as high as the gm specs said they were.

lay the crank in your engine with the old bearings and junk, then put one of the new pistons in with no rings, then figure exactly where the deck is on your engine. .010" is 1 full point of compression, just make sure you don't overdo it without measuring first. I think the 10 down minus another 20 will put you under the 18-1 mark. You then need to get a machine shop to cc the heads, and piston recess, which can be done in under a half hour. Then measure your old gasket and do the ol'e volume of a cylinder equation from the 5th grade. Just remember cubic inches to cc's is 16.39.

try Pauls Performance Coatings at 469-688-0837, he does mostly powdercoating and exhaust ceramic coatings, he's new to the piston thing, but his turn around is a couple of days at the most. His exhaust manifold coatings are next day.