PDA

View Full Version : Spare Parts to Carry

trbankii
09-09-2014, 12:07
The thread about having a spare belt tensioner (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?p=306884) prompted me to take a look at what I carry.

I did find a thread (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=27685) from some time ago that had a bit of a discussion, but maybe time to revisit the discussion.

If electrical injection, spare PMD is probably at the top of the list.
OBD Scanner - if so equipped
Basic toolkit
Fuel Filter
Belt Tensioner and Serpentine Belt
Fuses and Bulbs
Oil/Trans Fluid/Brake Fluid
Cell phone

As Missy mentioned in the other thread, it can get to the point where you'd need a trailer to carry all the spares, tools, and such for every conceivable situation. I'm assuming regular maintenance - not someone who just waits until something breaks. And also that there are things that are just going to be beyond fixing by the side of the road. Depending on how far into the "outback" you normally travel, your "required" spares are going to increase accordingly.

Mine is mechanical injection, so I don't carry the first two. But the last five items are things I've used even with regular maintenance.

Toolkit - Just having some tools has gotten me out of situations.
Fuel Filter - Unfortunately, too easy to get a bad tank of fuel.
Tensioner - Had mine go out unexpectedly - no warning - and spent a night in WV because of it.
Fuses/Bulbs - Sometimes they just burn out at inopportune times.
Fluids - Snag a brake line or a drain plug
Almost to the point where it's crazy to think people don't carry a cell phone, but definitely worthwhile when something does go wrong.

Any others that people consider to be a "must have" item that they won't leave home without one in the truck?

MajMike
09-09-2014, 15:09
Let's see . . .

spare tire of course
e-tool w/ extraction rope or winch
2 good flashlights, 1 area one
if have hi-lift then piece of wood for base in mud
shotgun/rifle/pistol your choice, self-defense or varmints
good knife and/or hand axe
more I'm sure . . .

Dvldog8793
09-09-2014, 19:15
....Are we talking about what we carry "on our body" or in our rig...?:D
Main thing I would add to the Major and Tribankii is:

rations- long term energy bars
blue poly tarp and para cord.
NEVER leave the house without full canteen.
cash and an old ID
Define tool kit...? Mine weighs about 90lbs...:rolleyes:
I do not rely on my cell phone for anything beyond general convenience. There are plenty of areas up here with NO signal.
And...a collapsible fishing rod and basics...entertainment and survival...
I have trimmed back the things that I carry in my rigs but for the most part if I manage to grab my go-bag from the house we would do just fine in any of my trucks(wifes VW...not so much:rolleyes:)
Some say it's crazy but....I live from remembering my past....ALWAYS better to be prepared.....No I was never a boyscout:D...only a Marine...

jdd75
09-10-2014, 06:10
For those driving trucks I recommend a better "Jack".
We all overload our trucks at times and 3 times in
the boonies my hydrolic jack saved the day for strangers.
The worst one was a 3/4 ton truck 8ft box with a
camper with 3 ft over hang.

Don

rustyk
09-14-2014, 12:04
- Oil pressure switch
- Glow plug relay
- Lift pump
- Wires and terminals
- Master cylinder (Have had 2 failures)
- P/S pump (Had two new ones shear the shaft)
- Alternator (Had one burn up)
- Hose clamps
- Muffler clamps
- Jumper cables
- Tow strap
- Wheel chocks

Of course, with a motorhome, I have plenty of room...

phantom309
09-14-2014, 17:32
I thought i'd check to see what i carry,.

extra long booster cables in an old tire chain bag,.

a 40" spike for winches and binders,

a 3 ton hydraulic jack, big breaker bar and a socket for the wheel nuts,.
(um,....no spare tire tho,.:o) I do throw one in the back when i go far,.

I realized to today i,m still running on the spare pmd tossed onto the inner fender on its heat sink.(must buy another asap)

12" of injector return line hose,.

a 4"X 50' tow strap,.

20ft of 3/8 chain with hooks,.

5-6 little girly 1" tie down straps (just to make coppers happy )

vice grips, 12" long needle nose pliers (bonus points of you can figure what those are for),.. a small crescent wrench, a multi bit screwdriver, a folding pocket knife, 2ft of 12gauge wire and a roll of duct tape,.

good to go any where in north america,.:rolleyes:

DmaxMaverick
09-15-2014, 08:05
I thought i'd check to see what i carry,.

12" long needle nose pliers (bonus points of you can figure what those are for),.. ......

Emergency prophylactic retrieval. I have a couple pairs of them, but never had to use them for their intended purpose, so I mostly use them to retrieve small parts and tools, after dropping them into the black holes commonly found under the hood. It helps if they're magnetized, sometimes.

arveetek
09-16-2014, 07:56
One of the tricks I've learned from the off-road crowd is to narrow down the selection of tools you bring. A lot of times, we pack an entire socket set, wrench set, etc. But to save on space and weight, only pack the tools needed to fit your vehicle. For example, if you don't have any 17mm bolts or nuts on your truck, why pack a 17mm wrench or socket? It takes a while up front to narrow down which tools are actually needed, but it makes sense.

Of course, this is more applicable to smaller vehicles, like Jeep Wranglers, since they have so little storage space to start with. However, when packing for an extended trip, every inch and ounce sure helps out.

Casey

DieselDavy
09-16-2014, 12:11
Especially with our 2 door Tahoes Casey!
Very little space to begin with!

Dave

arveetek
09-16-2014, 13:28
Especially with our 2 door Tahoes Casey!
Very little space to begin with!

Dave

I tell you what, compared to the little '97 Jeep Wrangler I had, the 2 door Tahoe is like a moving truck! Tons of storage!! :D

But, yeah, by the time 4 of us load up for a trip, there's not a lot of space left. Sometimes I take the spare tire out and strap it down on the roof in order to free up interior space. I really want to build a spare tire carrier some day.

Casey

phantom309
09-16-2014, 19:11
Emergency prophylactic retrieval.

damn funny,..

for installing injector return line hose turbo side,.when the damn thing is hot of course,.

16gaSxS
09-23-2014, 14:47
One of the tricks I've learned from the off-road crowd is to narrow down the selection of tools you bring. A lot of times, we pack an entire socket set, wrench set, etc. But to save on space and weight, only pack the tools needed to fit your vehicle. For example, if you don't have any 17mm bolts or nuts on your truck, why pack a 17mm wrench or socket? It takes a while up front to narrow down which tools are actually needed, but it makes sense.

Of course, this is more applicable to smaller vehicles, like Jeep Wranglers, since they have so little storage space to start with. However, when packing for an extended trip, every inch and ounce sure helps out.

Casey

Zee mostest important item Charge card with very high limit!!!:eek: