PDA

View Full Version : Rear hub seal leak.

99gmccrew
05-21-2005, 08:39
I had the rear hub seal replaced because of a leak that is really ticking me off. Still leaked after they replaced it. I had it done while they swithed out the rear diff gears so it only cost me the price of the seal.

I figured if I wanted it done right I would have to do it myself. So I did change it again. Everything was great. 30 days go by no leak, dry as a bone. I was running late to work the other day and had it up over 80mph. Now it's leaking again. Anybody have an idea why or what I should do to prevent another leak when I replace the seal again?

Thanks in advance for your replys.
99gmccrew

rjschoolcraft
05-21-2005, 11:35
Speedi Sleeve!

DmaxMaverick
05-21-2005, 11:58
Speedi Sleeve is a good idea if the sealing surface is damaged.

The seals have a low pressure tolerance, and will leak if subjected to any pressure.

Check your diff. vent tube. If it has any low points in it, the lube vapor will condense in the line and collect at the low point. If this happens, the heat in the diff (like driving at high speeds) will create pressure and will take the path of least resistance, usually the seals. If you have a weak sealing surface, the lube will blow right past it. Make sure your vent line is not kinked or bent, and is at an incline from the diff to the end. Any dips will be a problem.

Turbo Al
05-22-2005, 21:01
If it is the seal I am thinking of you should be using the HD type -- they have two sealing lips, can you post a part number? Are you getting them from GM?
Al

99gmccrew
05-23-2005, 08:26
I got the seal at pepboy's. It is made by chicago rawhide or CR. Part #28426. It looks like a decent seal, but I'm not an expert in this area.

Turbo Al
05-23-2005, 08:38
Ok lets do it another way I dug through the old parts on my rear end -- rebuilt the whole thing myself including the limited diff. the main seal was 2.844 x 3.939 x .510 part number was National federal mogul 2081 (24956-06921).

I really hate to say it but if you are having a problem it is probably because you are installing the wrong type of seal for the application if all else is fine. For a few bucks more pickup one from GM.

Al