PDA

View Full Version : Defecation hits the reciprocating oscillator.

DickWells
09-18-2014, 12:57
I need a new rear end for Sierra! The housing/tube is cracked all around between the U-bolts on the passenger side. Found I had oil weeping out, into the undercoating and dirt below the spring perch, took a putty knife to the crud and there it was. Lucky the whole thing hadn't parted and sent the tire, wheel, axle and brake into the body, or worse, sent me into a roll!

Just made my first contact to our friends at the local junk yard, and put Crissy to work looking for a good used unit, but I'd like input from all who have experience/suggestions.

Looking to get things changed over by the 11th of October for our yearly pilgrimage to Brownsville. Suspected this problem from a quick peek under there a week- plus ago, but have been down with a serious upper respiratory infection, and just now got to put the beast up on the Bend Pak.

Of all the dad-burned luck.

Thanks for listening.

DW

AKMark
09-18-2014, 13:16
Wow, I know guys that race/wheel/jump with this rear axle and don't see this type of carnage.

Shouldn't be hard to find another axle, sorry for the bad luck.

More Power
09-19-2014, 09:31
Contact these guys:

Spaulding Auto Parts
Spokane, WA
1-800-366-2070
SpauldingAutoParts.com

CoyleJR
09-19-2014, 10:03
Dick, look on Craigslist before you start paying for shipping one to you. I have seen quite a number of Dmax trucks being parted out in my area (Phoenix). If possible post a picture of the crack after you pull the rear end. I have never heard of someone cracking the housing on a Dmax differential without being in a bad wreck. I guess this something else I need to watch for on my dually.

Take care of your self and get the respiratory infection fixed before trying to fix the truck. I know several people with a similar infection. Many people here in Az. think it is being carried into the US by the illegal invaders at the southern border. Thanks Obama.

Good luck
John

rapidoxidationman
09-19-2014, 10:27
Dick, look on Craigslist before you start paying for shipping one to you. I have seen quite a number of Dmax trucks being parted out in my area (Phoenix). If possible post a picture of the crack after you pull the rear end. I have never heard of someone cracking the housing on a Dmax differential without being in a bad wreck. I guess this something else I need to watch for on my dually.

Take care of your self and get the respiratory infection fixed before trying to fix the truck. I know several people with a similar infection. Many people here in Az. think it is being carried into the US by the illegal invaders at the southern border. Thanks Obama.

Good luck
John

cuz Bush never let any illegals in, nor did he ever try to give them amnesty...

Oh... Wait...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2004/01/08/bush-amnesty-plan-raises-immigration-concerns/

Back on topic: Got some pics of the crack? Any idea of an event that might've caused it?

AKMark
09-19-2014, 13:24
www.car-part.com

Allows you to search just your state, or the entire us for parts.

DmaxMaverick
09-19-2014, 15:00
Unless the former President or an illegal alien is delivering axles, we should probably leave that right there.

Good luck, Dick.

DickWells
09-20-2014, 15:48
Thanks, guys. I have one coming in from a southern state next Tuesday or Thursday. It's $800, delivered to the local yard that I mentioned. One-hundred-sixty K on it, with a six month warranty. Same price as my son and I found on e-Bay and Craig's List, and I have the friendly local lady on my side.

Somewhere, either on TDP, or in a mag., I've read that track bars are not good for our towing truck's rear end. Well, I have two very heavy beams on my Air Lift Road Tamer suspension that are basically track bars. They pivot from the same mounts as the front pivot points where the original steel spring eyes did. Could be that the stiff hook-up for the rear end is the issue that the article I read was referring to. ????? Anyway, the dang thing is cracked wide open, almost all the way around the circumference, to the point that you can see almost the whole thickness of the tube on the forward surface, right next to the inboard U-bolt. I fancy that I can see where the housing just might be tweaked upward from that point out to the backing plate, but?

So, at this point, I'm feeling relieved that I caught it, and that I haven't had the whole she-bang come adrift and wreck a good share of the brand-new paint job. Or worse! Besides, I'm getting away for less money than I anticipated.

Saving any political comments for another time, or another issue.

All of us who Winter along the border always have a supply of Z-max available, and I just now started a second go-round, this afternoon, since I feel that the first one didn't do any good because of it being viral, and that now, it's turned into a sinus infection that quite well may respond. We'll see.

Thanks for everything and I'll see if Lance can get me on here with a couple of pic's.

DW

rapidoxidationman
10-02-2014, 17:32
Any update? Back on the road?