PDA

View Full Version : Can you put an 88 6.2 into a 94 6.5?

optimacy
10-07-2014, 06:52
Have a 2500 truck with a thrown rod through the oil pan, and I have access to a older (1988) 6.2 (with injectors and pump, etc) Does anyone know if I can swap just the long block and keep all the 6.5 components (pump, intake, turbo, etc)

Thanks.

More Power
10-07-2014, 09:05
Welcome to The Diesel Page!

The injector angles used in the 6.2L diesel up till the 1991 model year are different from those used by the 6.5, making it very hard to use the 1994 injector fuel lines. It'll work if you swapped cylinder heads, crankshaft timing chain sprocket, aluminum front timing cover and produced a longer oil feed line that runs from the oil filter area on the block to the turbocharger. Jim

optimacy
10-07-2014, 17:02
Thanks Jim! (and thanks for the quick reply) sorry for all the questions, but is there an easier way (maybe using the pump and the existing lines). I don't mind doing the head/timing swap but want to maybe keep the existing 6.5 mostly intact in case it is rebuild-able. Thanks again.

DmaxMaverick
10-07-2014, 21:39
Your 6.5L surviving a thrown rod is dim. Likely the crank is broken and/or the main webs are cracked (before, during or after the event).

Fuel injector lines can be sourced that will fit the DS4 pump and 6.2 heads, but will need 6.2L van or 6.5L injectors (short body). Others have "tweaked" the lines to fit, but I do not recommend that (old lines will crack, usually sooner than later).

Also consider, if the 6.5L you sourced has significant miles on it, it is highly recommended (or maybe necessary), that the head gaskets need replacement, anyway.

optimacy
10-09-2014, 05:52
I think I'll go for swapping the heads and the timing accessories. I'll post pics when I start.

Also, how do you order the 6.2/6.5 repair guide? The page link doesn't appear to work

DmaxMaverick
10-09-2014, 10:01
I think I'll go for swapping the heads and the timing accessories. I'll post pics when I start.

Also, how do you order the 6.2/6.5 repair guide? The page link doesn't appear to work

Go to THIS PAGE (http://www.thedieselpage.com/form.htm). If it doesn't work (it did just a minute ago), I can provide a phone number.